Kabanosy

jens49
User
User

Kabanosy

Post by jens49 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 22:32

I have now tried twice at making a kabanosy sausage but have at big problem when trying to stuff the sausage. I grind the meat with a 5 mm plate, mix without water/wine and try to stuff in 20/22 mm sheep casings. Best fitting tube is a 10 mm. I also have a 16 mm tube but the casing seems too small for this size tube. The casing doesn't come of easily. When stuffing more meat comes out through the silicone gasket at the back of the stuffer than through the tube. It feels like I am almost wrecking the stuffer! As I understand kabanosy should be coarsly ground and dried like a salami. Adding water would likely be counterproductive. And a finer grind would not give the right sausage.
Help pls
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Oct 28, 2016 01:15

It can be difficult to stuff those small casings. The smallest I stuff is a 15mm casing and I have had some difficulty at times doing this. I may not have your answer but here are a few things I've learned from stuffing the small ones.

First of all, I've learned you need to really be thorough trimming the meat of all the sinew and silver skin. What seems to happen to me is these pieces prevent the grinder from actually cutting this material cleanly and there will be an inevitable "string" attached to a piece of fat or meat that will plug the tube. You can normally see this problem when it goes int the casing and you can feel the pressure ease up.

The second thing is to make sure the meat is nearly frozen when grinding and your blades are sharp and doing a good job. Any smearing at this point will lead to a smear inside the tube which closes the horn even more making a tough job even tougher.

Third thing is - and I'm just experimenting with this now - is to refreeze the mince before putting it in the stuffer and being sure the stuffer is also chilled in so much as possible. Having really cold mince seems to help.

I looked at two recipes and both these procedures suggest grinding the fat separately and I wonder if this isn't to help insure a good cut.

A while back I was trying to sort this problem myself and I added extra liquid thinking it would help things but in the end it resulted in the mince pulling off the collagen casings I was using and leaving air gaps. (doesn't apply to your situation but worth noting) Since then I've pretty much eliminated the problem through thorough trimming and being anal about having a good clean grind. I still have the occassional stringy piece of meat that clogs the works but not nearly as bad as it used to be. These small casings are slow and tedious. Hope this was helpful.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 29, 2016 07:07

Hi Jens,

What kind of stuffer do you have?
jens49
User
User

Post by jens49 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 14:54

I used a 3 kilo horizontal sausage stuffer. Didn't separate meat and fat because I read that a kabonosy should be mixed as little as possible. Used only Boston Butt. The meat was semi frozen about -3c. Chilled after grinding before stuffing. It was almost impossible to put 5 mm grind thru 10 mm tube. Thought about leaving it over night before stuffing but was afraid it would stiffen up before stuffing. My guess that the meat in the end was smeared, because after 5 days they were still too soft. Have sacked this lot.