Variable temperature and A/C control

Venison1

Variable temperature and A/C control

Post by Venison1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 09:20

Hi
First time salami maker here, followed recipes but struggling to keep hanging room temperatures down to 15c. It is varying from 16to 20c. Humidity is between 65and 75.in order to keep salamis cool I have used a small computer A/C to keep a cool air flow on the product. They have been hanging for 7days and have all lost weight, test weights are showing 30weight loss. No mould forming yet. They smell OK and have hardened, but still some give. Should I continue with this approach and continue to dry for several more weeks or have I dried them too quickly or compromised the meat?
Butterbean

Re: Variable temperature and A/C control

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jul 21, 2020 21:06

Until you slice it and see if it has hardened I don't think you can really tell and as long as you have used the cure and fermented the meat properly you haven't compromised the meat itself but you may have compromised the quality if you have case hardening. Slice a piece and post a pic. If you have hardening you could possible salvage it by vacuum sealing them and let rest in a fridge for a week or two so the moisture can equalize then continue with the drying process.