Spices and herbs in recipes

biggame
Beginner
Beginner

Spices and herbs in recipes

Post by biggame » Sun Feb 14, 2021 09:19

New member here and learning a lot.. I have several of the Marianski books and they are great resources. So far, I have followed instructions and recipes carefully with good results. One question: in many recipes in the books there is a spice ingredient with no indication of the form. So if I see in a recipe ingredients like coriander, caraway, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, mustard, etc., in the absence of more specifics, i should.assume that it is calling for the ground form?

Similarly, if a Marianaski recipe calls for 50g of "garlic", is that 50g in fresh, granulated or powder? 50g of garlic powder would obviously taste different than 50g of fresh.... Same for ginger. Thanks! John
Bob K

Re: Spices and herbs in recipes

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 14, 2021 16:01

Welcome to the forum John!
biggame wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 09:19
One question: in many recipes in the books there is a spice ingredient with no indication of the form. So if I see in a recipe ingredients like coriander, caraway, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, mustard, etc., in the absence of more specifics, i should.assume that it is calling for the ground form?
Yes you would, but there can be a few exceptions for example Anise and Caraway can be used either way, in that case base on personal taste
biggame wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 09:19
Similarly, if a Marianaski recipe calls for 50g of "garlic", is that 50g in fresh, granulated or powder? 50g of garlic powder would obviously taste different than 50g of fresh.... Same for ginger.
Unless specified as "fresh" it would be the dried form. By weight 50g of garlic powder would be the same as 50g of granulated, even though the volume would be different
biggame
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Spices and herbs in recipes

Post by biggame » Sun Feb 14, 2021 16:22

That's what I needed. Making some elk cacciatore tomorrow, will choose to keep the caraway seed whole. I love this forum, thanks so much for your work making available to us.