cleaning equipment

fordtruckbeast
User
User

Re: cleaning equipment

Post by fordtruckbeast » Sun Apr 03, 2022 08:23

redzed wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 00:55
There is some good and common sense info here in an earlier thread: viewtopic.php?t=5469
Thanks =)
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Post by fordtruckbeast » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:27

redzed wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 06:41
I just use dish soap and a hot water rinse, making sure everything is dry before putting away. Occasionally I sanitize with non-scented Oxi-Clean (sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate), which I also use to clean and sanitize my wine making equipment. Contrary to what the makers of Star San claim, experienced wine makers will tell you that they can detect it in wine if used to clean the equipment.
Yeah starsan seems like a great product. İm assuming one can rinse with distilled water after starsan is applied to remove the minute taste of it....
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Apr 20, 2022 03:55

Why go to the extra expense of buying Starsan? And distilled water? Besides, Star San is an antimicrobial but does not cut grease and clean well. Use what you already have at home. Dish soap and hot water to clean and a dip in a mild chlorine solution if you want to sanitize.
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Post by fordtruckbeast » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:45

redzed wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 03:55
Why go to the extra expense of buying Starsan? And distilled water? Besides, Star San is an antimicrobial but does not cut grease and clean well. Use what you already have at home. Dish soap and hot water to clean and a dip in a mild chlorine solution if you want to sanitize.
alright i really appreciate you trying to help but i wouldnt dipping in a mild chlorine solution mute the point of startsan or iodophor. İ mean dont we want a solution that wont leave residue that would get into the grinder/meat? Sorry if its very noob question....
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Wed Apr 27, 2022 14:17

I am a beer brewer, like probably many of you. I have used multiple products over the many years including all of those discussed here and with proper use have seen very few issues on my beer. The few times that I have I can attribute to sloppiness. I think the same goes with sausage. If you are going to cook the sausage immediately then 100% cleanliness is not as important as something raw aged. So I personally get a slight degree of comfort with that. It doesn't mean I use dirty equipment....

So in cleaning my equipment I use what ever dish soap my wife has at hand. I suds everything up and clean with a green scrub pad attached to the back of a standard sponge. When I'm done I see no meat, I feel no grease, but its no better than any other handwashed dish or glass. I then place all metal parts into my oven for a few hours at 180-200 degrees F. I let cool, I store in the freezer, and Bob's your uncle.

Were I to Star San or iodophor after cleaning...I would simply rinse with tap water after this "sterilization" and again place in the oven. The reason I place in the oven is not to sterilize but to ensure everything that could rust is completely 100% dry.

If you are really concerned with sterilization may I suggest that you autoclave by placing your "clean" plates in steam. Pot of water on the hob with a steamer basket and even a towel if you want. If using immediately place in a steamed container and then cool in the freezer...i.e., there will be no air contact in the freezer to the plate.

To be clear I think this level of disinfection is overkill but if you are concerned with off flavors from the disinfectants others have discussed and believe that you need to rinse with distilled water (in lieu of tap water) then autoclaving and cooling might just get you to your sweet spot