Cremona Parmigiana and Finocchiona

michi
User
User

Cremona Parmigiana and Finocchiona

Post by michi » Mon Feb 19, 2024 01:45

I started a batch of salami on 5 December 23. Cremona on the left (70 mm) and Finocchiona in a smaller 55 mm diameter on the right. This shows the salami after 24 hours of fermentation. The pH ended up at 4.67, with T-SPX as the starter culture.
Cremona Parmigiano and Finocchiona.jpeg
I don't have a curing chamber, so I used salami casings from Misty Gully and UMAi, which allow curing in an ordinary fridge without humidity control. The Cremona is in Misty Gully casing, the Finocchiona in the UMAi one. The small one in the top right corner is what was left in the elbow of my sausage stuffer. I rolled that in cornmeal (Pitina style) and wrapped it in dry aging steak wraps from The Sausage Maker. The whole lot went into my fridge sitting on a wire rack.

The Finocchiona was ready eight weeks later, at 35% weight loss. (The Cremona will take a few more weeks to lose enough weight.)
IMG_6420.jpg
IMG_6421.jpg
I'm very happy with the way that turned out. The bind is good, the salami dried uniformly all the way through with nice firm texture, and there is zero dry ring. The flavour is nice, too. The fennel comes through not too strongly, so it doesn't overwhelm the fermented salami notes.

I've made several salamis using these semi-permeable salami casings, with good results each time. It's not quite the real thing because you can't use penicillium with these, but the results are good nevertheless. Definitely an option for people without a dedicated curing chamber.
jens49
User
User

Re: Cremona Parmigiana and Finocchiona

Post by jens49 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 19:25

Looking really good. I think I might have to try the Umai bags. Did you vacuum pack them? And if so, how the the vac hold?
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:08

jens49 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 19:25
Did you vacuum pack them? And if so, how the the vac hold?
I vacuum pack them for longer-term storage once they have cured. If I want to keep something for a long time, it goes in the freezer. Otherwise, the salami will last for months in the fridge. I use a normal domestic vacuum sealer (Luvele Supreme). The vacuum holds just fine.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Mar 05, 2024 21:56

Looks nice.