Project "A"

partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Fri Aug 12, 2011 01:41

Fellow sausage makers,
report on my project "A"Salami di Alessanddra at 52 days.My curing chamber is at 57 degrees, humidity is at 57%, and fan is off.Texture is firm,mold soft covered, casings are well adhered, evidence of oils when squeezed,smells as when it was stuffed, center has a fresher meat appearance,p.h. 4.9 I have been able to set my temp. and humidity and hold these adjustments.fan speed is something that I will have to learn more about [although I can adjust it by use of a variable controller] I have a dark outside edge about 1/8 inch thick. Could this be from having the initial fan speed too high? The Salami is continuing to lose weight. The one thing that I did not do was to add the wine .

John
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Fri Aug 12, 2011 02:19

Just checking in ,
My "S"& "P" projects were added to the curing chamber along with the Salami di Alessanddra these projects are 35 days old. The Sopressata has a medium-soft texture,mold is soft and well covered,casing is well adhered, evidence of oils when squeezed, darker rim 1/8 inch thick,P.H. 5.0 Odor same as when stuffed.

Pepperoni rim slightly darker ,color medium brown , you can smell the spices, mold has covered the casings. casing is separating from the sausage. I used 1 1/2 inch pepperoni casings,also some white mold is forming under the casing.Oils appear when squeezed and seem to be quite even across the product.

John
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Fri Aug 12, 2011 16:29

Just checking in,
Sorry I have been trying to get this post finished but I keep getting interrupted.What was missing from the above posts was the weight loss.Salami di Alessanddra 52 days 44%.Sopressata 35 days 35% pepperoni 35 days 47% Salami si Alessanddra was fermented in my converted refrigerator at 68 degrees 95% humidity fan at 50%.Sopressata and pepperoni where fermented at a later time in my other unit (gutted freezer) using a cold air humidifier,( no controller continuous run), fan set at 50% cooling was by frozen water bottles so it varied between 62 and 70 degrees. Still in both Salami examples I have the 1/8 inch dark edge (case Harding ?) could the fan speed have been set to high in the beginning stages.Someone had suggested that the batch was not mixed well. I mixed until it was sticky. all of the above are in the same curing chamber.

John
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 00:53

I would appreciate it greatly if each of you would write a paragraph with a few of your thoughts about this project so others may benefit from your comments.
What did you learn from the project?

Q -What was the most difficult part of the project?
A - Waiting for the salami to finish curing

Q - Did the final product disappoint you, meet your expectations, or go beyond your expectations?
A - Meet expectations. Next batch will try the alternative herbs & spices.

Q - Would you recommend making dry-cured salami and pepperoni to other sausagemakers?
A - Definitely, but the beginner should acclimate themselves with a fully cooked salami, before attempting a batch of cured salami. Maybe at first try, work with a semi dry sausage.

Q - Do you intend to make more dry-cured sausage?
A - Most definitely!

Q - How would you describe the flavor of Allysanndra?
A - The salami Allysanndra has a good hard salami flavor, has an authentic Italian taste

In my experience:
I have been making salami for a few years. During the beginning generally, jerky, snack sticks and smoke house cooked salami. The past 5 years I have ventured into semi dry and cured salamis, with several failures. I had disappointment after disappointment, to the point I thought one day (after a batch of pepperoni that went south) this is not for me. I tried to wrap my head around this thing called fermented salami. It was obvious there was something wrong with my process! Was it seasonings, not enough bactofirm or cure#2, did I mixing everything, i.e. seasoning, bactofirm and salt in the wrong order? So I took a few months off from salami making.
After a few months went by, the smell of fall air made me stiff`n up (like a buck in rut) as I was walking out to the mail box. This meant one thing "salami season is here! But I quickly realized, I still had a dilemma. my past projects went south where the seagulls hang out. Then I thought, I need three things, equipment, determination, and most importantly," know how" to get me on the right track!
So I ordered "The Art OF Making Fermented Sausage" read the book from cover to cover. After reading Stanley Marianski`s book, I realized a few things. Don`t always rely strictly on what the recipe says! I thought to myself, if I was a professional craftsman, I could show you my craft, but does not mean I will give away any secrets! Well this is where Mr. Marianski`s book comes in handy. The book spelled out "Art Of Dry Cure Salami" for me. I will admit I had to read the book a couple of times, but hey, there is a lot of valuable information there!
Long story short, as for any craft there is the wrong way and then there is the right way. You may have to turn to a book or ask a lot of questions to gain the knowledge! I prefer the book method, nobody to bother.
Now my soap box presentation :cool:
Lastly, even if CW does not want to admit it, he and the friendly folks here on the WD site have stepped up my salami making craftsmanship, to the next level. Thanks guys & gals.

Uwanna
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 01:48

Uwanna wrote:
Lastly, even if CW does not want to admit it, he and the friendly folks here on the WD site have stepped up my salami making craftsmanship, to the next level. Thanks guys & gals.
Thanks Uwanna. Your remarks are very much appreciated. Keep up your great work! We're certainly behind you pard!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 07:25

Well it looks as if DaveZak and Partycook are the last two hold outs. How does the weight look guys? What is the current temp and RH? You should be getting pretty close to 30% moisture loss by now.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Aug 21, 2011 00:12

I have 3 at 30% and one reached 34% this week. So I decided to cut her open and give it a try. The one one I cut open was the salami I added herbs to. The flavor is very refined with a perfume of herbs. The texture however is still a bit mushy. While I could slice it nicely with a knife, the finger and mouth feel is soft. I expected it to be much more solid.

I put half in fridge to see if a chill would firm it up a bit. The other half went back into the chamber. I have about 58 F, 60 - 65 % RH. I also ran my fan for two days last week. I think that's why I had a jump in weight loss. I gain too much temp however when pulling the outside air into the chamber.

I think I just need more time. I'm encouraged because there is no sign of case hardening at all. Patience is slim right now...I am sooooo close.

Dave Zac
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 06:25

Dave, you wrote:
there is no sign of case hardening at all.
That's music to my ears! Don't be worrying about the soft texture inside. It will harden up, believe me. Have patience ol' pal. I've got one in my dryer (from a previous batch) that is hard as a rock.
Mighty interesting comments about the herb perfumes. I'm glad you decided to experiment with a few spice and herbs. Now you'll know what to do or not do in the future. Mine is kept very simple. Let us know how it progresses Dave. Good luck.

PartyCook, you wrote:
... salami examples I have the 1/8 inch dark edge (case Harding?) could the fan speed have been set to high in the beginning stages (?)
That is most probable John. At the onset, it is best not to run the fan at all for the first couple of hours, as we need both higher temperature and higher humidity. At some point, the balance of diffusion and evaporation was upset. Keep in touch and let us know how the remainder turns out.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Aug 22, 2011 02:36

I was telling my older son about my sausage failure and my intention to make catfish bait with it. He said to grind it with liver and stuff it in half inch casings and to use a # 6 circle hook. He said it sould work well. If it does I will send him a batch of it. He said just seal it in a zipper freezer bag and mail it, refrigeration not needed.
Ross- tightwad home cook
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39

Hi fellow sausage makers
Here is my report on my salami making:
Salami di Alessanddra it has been 63 days, casing is adhering tightly,sausage is hard,flavor is beginning to develop more, total weight loss is 47%, a PH of 5.0 ,when squeezed oils within the sausage are evident.

Salami sopressata, it has been 46 days,casing is tightly adhered,sausage is semi-hard, flavor is mild, total weight loss is 42%, a PH of 5.0, when squeezed oils within the sausage are evident.

Marianski pepperoni It has been 46 days, casing is loose on the sausage, I used 1 1/2 inch casings which were smaller than what was asked for in the recipe, flavor is quite good, total weight loss is 52%, sausage is quite hard, PH is 5.0 , oil is evident when squeezed.

My curing chamber is at 57 degrees and 75 to 80% humidity, fan is off, I opened the door once or twice a day, weight loss for the salami diAlessanddra has been 3% in the last 11 days. Weight loss for the Sopressata has been 7% in the last 11 days. Weight loss for the pepperoni has been 4%in the last 11 days.
I am really enjoying this Site, and thank everyone for their input, I know my sausage making will improve with your help. My grandson came over this weekend and showed me some things about photo bucket and installed a translator so I can use the Polish Web
Site.

John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 19:25

Good to hear from you John. Sounds like you are right on top of the data gathering process! If I were you, I'd have it gobbled up by now. Those grandsons are pretty special eh? When it comes to computers, they are sharp as a tack. Does he help you with the sausage making? Keep up the good work Partycook!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Staphylococcus & Micrococcus Bacterium In Dry-Cured Saus

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 05:03

Staphylococcus And Micrococcus Bacterium In Dry-Cured Sausage

In order to have a fully-cured salami flavor, several reactions must take place. Staphylococcus is usually used rather than micrococcus because it is more tolerant to salt and it is anaerobic and safe deep inside the meat of a salami. On the other hand, aerobic micrococcus are active at the surface. Both staphylococcus and micrococcus are able to reduce nitrate to nitrite as both produce an enzyme promoting the reduction of an organic compound. The enzyme, known as a reductase, is called catalase and it protects the meat from oxygen activity. This beneficial trait essentially delays the rancidity of fats. Incredibly, staphylococcus also tolerates low water volume as it creates flavor and aroma in slow-fermented salami. But these guys don`t stop here! Both bacteria contribute to lipolysis - the reduction of fats into free fatty acids (released into the blood and available for cellular uptake), and proteolysis - the reduction of proteins into free amino acids. Further, these miracle-working bacteria have the ability to convert the unwanted development of H202 into harmless water. Do you remember you High School Chemistry? That is hydrogen peroxide dude! :shock: I don`t know about you, but I just hate hydrogen peroxide in my sausage! :lol: So, let`s give staphyloccus and micrococcus a round of applause and the respect they deserve. The hard-working little guys really do a remarkable job!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 21:44

Hi Guys,
Well the big day has finally arrived.
On August 20th, DaveZac wrote:
While I could slice it nicely with a knife, the finger and mouth feel is soft. I expected it to be much more solid.
I think I just need more time. I'm encouraged because there is no sign of case hardening at all. Patience is slim right now...I am sooooo close.
OK Dave... everyone west of the Atlantic Ocean is waiting to see how the "last holdout" fared. Slice one open and let's have a look and a taste!
Shucks, I know a couple of guys out here that have been holding their breath since August 20th, just waiting for you so send some photos!
I believe for the weight reduction to take this long (the full recommended time period), you must have had the evaporation/diffusion rate very well balanced.
OK pard... let's have a peek! :razz: hint - hint

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 00:25

'Things are VERY busy right now at work. I haven't had time to check in here let alone slice my salami and take pictures. I am changing the ice daily (twice) and airing out. I will slice it open and take pictures this coming weekend, if not sooner...I promise.

Dave
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu Sep 15, 2011 18:55

C.W. and fellow sausage makers, My Salami Alessandra day 86 : My curing chamber is at 57 degrees,humidity at 75%,fan off,I opened the door once or twice a day,PH is 4.8,weight loss 50%,casing is tightly adhered,outer mold cover is even,oils are visible when sliced and squeezed,product seems to be evenly firm across a slice,taste is mild,aroma mild.Salami was fermented under a temperature controlled {fridge},humidity {green-air}controlled,air
{variable speed computer fan}. Curing chamber is also automatically controlled. The biggest negative seems to have been that there is no bright color development.My product is brown in color,not like the color of salami in the deli. It was mentioned that this may have been caused by the initial mixing. I also made projects S and P, which are at day 69. Project S has
PH of 4.8 and a weight loss of 49%. Project P has a PH of 4.8 and a weight loss of 52%. These two projects were fermented with ice bottles for temperature control but used the same type of fan for air control. Even though projects A,S, and P were mixed at separate times there was no bright color attained. Spice was measured beforehand and added immediately after meat was ground. I mixed until sticky then I added the T-SPX culture,which had been mixed with 1/2 cup distilled water{68 degrees} that had been allowed to stand for about 45 minutes to wake up. I continued to mix till I thought it was evenly distributed. I immediately stuffed into casings and then put into the fermenting chamber. I was wondering if I reached the proper safety hurdles even though there was no color development. Well guys, it is time for your input. To answer CW'S question, I would definitely try again. All the great information and humor make this an excellent site, and once again thanks to everyone. John