First Salametti Cacciatore

sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Tue Jan 22, 2013 02:46

Today's pic with having my first taste, taste and flavor really good with a 38% moisture loss and great color, sliced well but still little to moist in center.

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Made my first batch of Spanish Chorizo yesterday, and stuffed it tonight.

Image[/img]

Cheers,

John
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 02:59

John boy, the chorizo looks great and I'm surprised how fast you achieved the weight loss of 38% on the salametti. Tell us how you made the chorizo.

Redzed
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Tue Jan 22, 2013 21:44

My apologies Chuckwagon, got little excited, will give an update on salametti cacciatore as soon they are ready.
Redzed, my first try on cured sausages with my newly build curing chamber, took me a while to figure all the settings out, but seems to work well now. The curing chamber's cooling temp controller got the unit up to low 70's a couple of times, must be my settings on the controller, but I think did not do any harm. As I said earlier they are still little soft in the center but nice and firm, and nice color, may take another 7-14 days. Oh my ph this morning was 5.7.

Cheers,
john
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 04:22

Hey John, how's it going?
No need to apologize! Goodness. Your sausage looks amazing. I was just explaining why some folks can't find their photos (they get moved to the photo gallery) if they haven't included a recipe. (This is only in the "Sausages" section).
Lots of folks around the world "scan" the topics for recipes. We try to accommodate by including the country of origin and list those with recipes. Oh yes, we love the photos too, but they go into the "gallery" if they are submitted alone. So, PLEASE keep posting your photos. They are great.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 04:23

John, something is not quite right with your ph levels or maybe your testing technique or apparatus are flawed. You reported that you had a reading of 5.7 on day five and 5.7 again on day 15. A reading of 5.7 is considered normal before the fermentation stage, and should have been closer to 5.2 when you transferred the salamis to the curing chamber.

I suspect that your readings are incorrect since you would have experienced visible spoilage of the salami by now with the PH that high.
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13

redzed,
I am currently using the ph strips, and perhaps still try to figure it out, tasted them a couple of days ago as I had enough weight-loss and looking great, even my wife tasted them and loved them too. Will try do do another reading.

John
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 16:17

I also use the strips and really hate it. One of these days will have to breakdown and order a proper meter. I made a few varieties last fall and did not check the PH at any time. Turned out fine, but it's part of the craft and good to know.
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Sun Jan 27, 2013 17:11

Hy Guys, day 21 of my Salametti Cacciatore; yummy had a few slices

Image[/img]
Badge #02 had a moisture loss of 43% where I took the sample from/badge #03 had a loss of 39% and badge #01 had a loss of 42% 2 days ago

Image[/img]
sample sausage were I used samples for ph testing was 91 g

Image[/img]
ph-reading done day 21 at 4.8 as seen.....

Image[/img]

Sausage still little moist for my liking, did used a serrated knife for slicing, may caused pulling it open a bit, tasted great with a light tangy flavor,

Cheers,
John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:13

John, it's gorgeous stuff! I'm still not convinced you haven't been making dry-cured sausage for a couple of years, but shucks... it 'shorrre' does taste good eh? :wink:
Hey, try something for me. Take an ultra-sharp non serrated knife and slice down through another part of the sausage. Don't use too much down pressure, and use a "sawing" motion if you have to. If you still get the "hollow" in the center part of the sausage, I can give you a couple of tips.
Hey, if you keep up this kind of work, you're going to make my buddy Uwanna jealous... :lol: and his stuff looks better than the photos on the textbook covers! :mrgreen:
Nice work pal!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Wed Jan 30, 2013 01:57

Well, well what a tasty treat, had a piece in the fridge and was about to have another taste, but was gone, my wife loves the taste too.

Image[/img]

Chuckwagon, did sliced it with a sharp knife; and it shows well, had a 43% weight loss a couple of days ago, planning to make a batch of pepperoni this weekend and remove the salametti and vacuum seal them for storage.

[img]http:Image//[/img]

I know my weight-loss seems to go little fast, but the sausage seem to turn out well, should I be concerned?

Cheers,
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 08:31

the sausage seem to turn out well, should I be concerned?
Yup! Be concerned with how fast it will keep disappearing! :wink: Man, that is great lookin' stuff! Congratulations.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Sat Feb 02, 2013 17:29

Hello all, just vacuum packed some Salametti Cacciatore, took 27 days for a weight-loss of 44% and a ph of 4.8; seems everyone likes them, took some meat out of the freezer and are making another batch tomorrow.
I know it is over the top, but I labeled some of the salami's with the ingredients list and testing how they will taste like after freezing.

Image[/img]

Cheers,

John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 09:40

Beautiful work John. I can "taste" it from here. I wish my first projects had turned out as well as yours have. You're really got a first-class sausage there. Congrats!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Feb 04, 2013 13:23

John, that looks great man! Makes me want to finish the mods on my curing chamber for heating. (Garage gets too cold)
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Tue Feb 05, 2013 00:35

atcNick wrote:John, that looks great man! Makes me want to finish the mods on my curing chamber for heating. (Garage gets too cold)
Thanks Nick,
Very pleased with my first batch, did made another 15 lbs batch yesterday with 10 lbs of pepperoni.

Cheers,

John