Ingredient % of Meat
Pork Coppa 100%
Salt ( Kosher) 3.50%
White Pepper 1.00%
Cinnamon. 0.075%
Cure #2 0.25%
Juniper 0.20%

His blog: http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... e.html?m=1

I used his recipe on three of them and a slightly modified Len poli recipe on the 4th one.

Vacuum sealed and in the fridge for the next few weeks
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 03:49

Looks like you are on your way. How long are you going to leave them in the salt cure?
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Feb 18, 2013 04:05

I was planning on 3 weeks.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 04:44

I only have ever made it to about 10 days before I start getting concerned and stuff it. I always worry about too much salt.

You may want to try using a 4-5 inch beef bung instead of the collagen casings. I found I can use 1 bung cut in half and can stuff two coppas. I like the bung because it really slows the drying process down and make it consistent. I have tried collagen as well as wrapping in cheesecloth and the bung is had given me the most consisten result.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Feb 18, 2013 05:15

workingpoor wrote:I only have ever made it to about 10 days before I start getting concerned and stuff it. I always worry about too much salt.

You may want to try using a 4-5 inch beef bung instead of the collagen casings. I found I can use 1 bung cut in half and can stuff two coppas. I like the bung because it really slows the drying process down and make it consistent. I have tried collagen as well as wrapping in cheesecloth and the bung is had given me the most consisten result.
I have two bungs in the fridge just for the occasion. I was also planning on cold smoking one of them after curing. You ever try that?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 05:32

Nick,
Now I am getting really interested, cure first, cold smoke and than stuff in a beef bung. Is that the idea?
Never too old to learn!!!!
Jan.
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Re: First Coppa

Post by sausage-john » Mon Feb 18, 2013 15:35

atcNick wrote:Started some coppa curing today. Four of them. I used Jason Molinari's recipe:

Coppa
Ingredient % of Meat
Pork Coppa 100%
Salt ( Kosher) 3.50%
White Pepper 1.00%
Cinnamon. 0.075%
Cure #2 0.25%
Juniper 0.20%

His blog: http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... e.html?m=1

I used his recipe on three of them and a slightly modified Len poli recipe on the 4th one.

Vacuum sealed and in the fridge for the next few weeks
Looking great, as soon my pepperoni and 2nd batch of my salametti cacciatore are done will tackle my 1st coppa, as I have 4 pieces ready for the process waiting in my freezer.

Keep us updated, cheers, JohnImage[/img]
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:11

Looks great nick, but 3 weeks seems preety long for curing? Is this what the recipe called for? I cured mine for 11 days, and had the same 3.5% salt, and I thought it was real salty, And I am not sure, but vacuuming them might make it even more salty, I only made this once, so let me know on the saltiness of yours,Tim
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 14:21

TSMODIE wrote:Looks great nick, but 3 weeks seems preety long for curing? Is this what the recipe called for? I cured mine for 11 days, and had the same 3.5% salt, and I thought it was real salty, And I am not sure, but vacuuming them might make it even more salty, I only made this once, so let me know on the saltiness of yours,Tim
Yea that's what the recipe calls for. Hmm, I don't want it too salty.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 14:23

crustyo44 wrote:Nick,
Now I am getting really interested, cure first, cold smoke and than stuff in a beef bung. Is that the idea?
Never too old to learn!!!!
Jan.
You bring up a good question that I haven't considered. What do you guys think? Smoke in the bung or before the coppa goes in the bung?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 08:55

Hi Nick,
I think everybody is scratching their head thinking about this. I have never seen a smoked Coppa
but anything is possible. Who knows!! We have some very experienced people on this forum, they are not all like me! Personally I think they should only be cold smoked.
Cheers Mate.
Jan.
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:58

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in (0.020518 USD)

I think it could be interesting but only if you COLD smoke it and i would only smoke for about 6-12 hours so as to add subtlety to it. Maybe do it twice?
Aside to the above comment, I cure my 'Coppa' for 3 weeks as per Jason Molinari's blog.
I have just placed another 'Coppa' into the vac bag but with a different spice mix. I'll post separate to this to show what i have done and used.

I'd be interested to see how cold smoking goes with a Coppa but it's too hot here for the foreseeable future to consider any cold smoking (might be good in May).

Cheers

Steve
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Mar 14, 2013 00:35

I've got a question for you pros since I cant find my references. How do you prepare the beef bung out of the package?

Thanks.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 01:19

I would definitely soak it overnight. I try to save money by buying the casings a tad small. Flushing the casings once or twice, and soaking it overnight helps loosen up the reinforcing membranes. The next day, fill the casing like a water balloon, and watch it swell. The casing is pretty strong, but exercise a bit of caution. Cup the bottom of the casing and feel for tension as you force the casing to expand and bend to your will.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 09:57

Jason wrote:
The next day, fill the casing like a water balloon, and watch it swell. The casing is pretty strong, but exercise a bit of caution. Cup the bottom of the casing and feel for tension as you force the casing to expand and bend to your will.
That is top-notch information dude! Thanks for sharing. The only thing I could possibly add is when you first open the package and go to soak the bung, put Mentholatum up your nose, clip a clothes pin over your proboscis, then wear a gas mask! I used bungs during my younger years - never could get used to them. I was never so glad in all my life, to see the wonderful invention called reinforced, synthetic, fibrous casing! :razz:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D