Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Mold 600 Bactoferm (Previously M-EK-4)

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 09:44

Vol. 2 Fermented sausages with Chr. Hansen surface cultures
http://www.hjemmeriet.dk/ChrHansen/Broc ... 8UK%29.pdf

Above content added 1/15

Several people have asked about Mold 600 - the preferred mold for the protection of raw, dry-cured, sausages. This should eliminate some of the mystery. :wink:

Mold 600 Bactoferm™ (Previously M-EK-4)
Mold-600 is a single strain culture containing spores of Penicillium nalgiovense in a convenient freeze-dried form. It was made for production of molded dried sausages with a white or cream-colored appearance. Penicillium nalgiovense is a fast growing, traditional white mold culture for controlling the surface flora and it is particularly recommended for traditional sausages dried at low temperature and/or low humidity.
Mold-600 suppresses the growth of undesirable organisms such as indigenous molds, yeasts and bacteria. The culture has a positive effect on the drying process by preventing the emergence of dry rim. Moreover, the mold degrades lactic acid during maturation resulting in a pH increase and a less sour flavor. The culture must be stored in a freezer and at 15 degrees below zero (F.), it will remain effective for about 6 months. Without freezing, it has a shelf life of only 14 days.
To use Bactoferm Mold-600, add 3 grams of M-600 to a cup of 68°;F. lukewarm (not hot) distilled, chlorine-free water, and allow it to develop 12 hours. After the 12 hours, add 1 liter of distilled, chlorine-free water. Dip sausages in the solution or spray it on with a misting sprayer.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Apr 16, 2015 16:54, edited 2 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bob K

Mold 600

Post by Bob K » Mon Oct 20, 2014 17:51

A few things I have found for better , more even mold growth.

If you have treated or City water soak casings in bottled water. Go ahead and rinse them out in tap water but soak in untreated water overnight or however long you usually soak them.
Makes a huge difference in how fast/well the mold grows.

Apply after 1 day of fermenting...the casings will have slightly dried out and absorb the mold mixture better.

If you are doing small batches like 5-10 lbs, mix with 1/4 cup or so (untreated) water and brush or spray on. If you dilute it you will be throwing most away.
soccerguy83
Beginner
Beginner

Post by soccerguy83 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 16:59

Any idea what the shelf life in water at RT is?
Brian - Colonial Embers BBQ Team
Memento mori, Memento vivere
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Sep 24, 2017 15:19

Mold is hard to kill, if its a few days I would try it. You could also add a gram or so more for insurance. If it doesn't grow you can always apply again.
soccerguy83
Beginner
Beginner

Post by soccerguy83 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 14:14

That's why I'm asking, I have some already growing on my recently hung Coppa, but a few areas where there is no mold growing on it. I still have the water solution mold in the spray bottle and wondering if there is any reason not to use it (two weeks old) to hit those bare spots again. From a biological perspective, I can't see why it would be bad.
Brian - Colonial Embers BBQ Team
Memento mori, Memento vivere
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Tue Jan 09, 2018 03:52

Vol. 2 Fermented sausages with Chr. Hansen surface cultures
http://www.hjemmeriet.dk/...%20%28UK%29.pdf
WOW, good stuff, great information, I will be referring back to this for along time.

Thanks for posting!