Starting making my first batch of fermented sausages

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30

Have been so full on writing an essay will post a reply and pictures tomorrow.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Nearly There

Post by markjass » Sat Oct 05, 2013 06:33

Well both the pepperoni and the Chorizos have lost about 30% of their original weight. This has taken 37 days (remember these are in standard hog casings). Over the last week or so I have had an issue with white mould and a minute amount of black mould. As I could not reduce the humidity (the humidity in my garage is about 80%) in the chamber I turned the fan up and my humidifier off (humidity has been about 80% in my curing chamber). Over this time the sausages weight loss rate increased and the sausages have become firmer (for the last three weeks I have wiped the white mould off with a water diluted vinegar solution (15 mls vinegar to 1L of water). I wonder if this could have made the sausages firmer. On Wednesday I will take some pictures of them before and after a light smoking. I will also cut them in half and post pictures.

Other news my bresaola is ready, but the cured and air dried pork loin has a way to go. It has lost 23%. It is much slower that the beef as it has a fat cap in it.

I have put together a chart of the weight loss etc, but when I pasted it from excell and then from word the rows and columns were all over the place. Any ideas how I can get around this?
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Finished my first batch of fermentated sausages.

Post by markjass » Sat Oct 12, 2013 00:41

All done now

The Pppperoni is slightly softer than the chorizo. The final ph's are Choritzo is 5.71 and the pepperoni is 5.31. Both have a slightly musty fermented smell (has eased off in the past two days and a musty hint. They are not to acidic. Here are some pictures

The pepperoni

The Chorizo

Data Table

The sausages have a waxy feel and a slightly greasy feel. Also the paprika rubs off on your fingers leaving a slightly greasy feel. I wonder if 20% backfat was too much. Huge amount learned and masses more to learn.

Mark

Mark
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Oct 12, 2013 15:07

Wow! Those look wonderful!

One way to do a table is to print a PDF, then load it like you would a photograph. I've tried all sorts of ways of loading tables (especially for recipes) without luck. The bulletin board system for WD, and every other character-based display program I've worked in, strips out blank spaces and ignores tabs, plus it kerns (uses variable widths for letters). You can get close to displaying a decent table by putting in alternating spaces and periods (or other small characters), but the kerning problem makes you have to use Preview and manually insert or delete 'em until it looks right. ...not an easy feature to add to any program unless you go completely to graphics, in which you can specify by pixel count.

Sorry for the long-winded but trivial subject matter. Your screen shot works great for me! Now, if I could just get my hands on some of that pepperoni and chorizo!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.