Salami fermenting but no ph drop ! TSP-X

NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Salami fermenting but no ph drop ! TSP-X

Post by NicolasR » Sun Feb 09, 2014 21:41

Hi

I started a new batch of salami (all pork) using Tsp-x starter culture. It's been in the curing chamber for 72 hours (20 degrees C. And 90% humidity).

The ph doesn't seem to drop at all. (It's close to over 6).

Should I be worried ? Should I just leave it in the chamber until it finally drops ?

Oh..and I used 0,3 % dextrose and 0,2% sugar.

Thanks
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 09, 2014 22:04

For pork the starting ph is usually 5.8. Are you saying that the starting was around 6 and the same after 72 hours? If your measurements are accurate, then it seems that there is a problem. How are you testing the pH?. From my experience with TSP-X, fermenting at 72°F, I usually get a drop to 5.4 after 24hrs and to 5 after 48. Boost the temp to 80 or even 85 for the next 24hrs and see what happens. And for TSP-X I use sugar only and dextrose for the faster acting bacteria.
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Sun Feb 09, 2014 22:25

Thanks

I'm using ph test strips (from 3 to 6). Starting ph was off the chart so probably near 6.5...now it's close to 6. So almost no drop.

The chamber was really steady at 68 F. The while time and following Marianski's recipe it should take about 72 hours to reach 5.3. And it's usually about right.

Maybe my new TSPX pouch is bad ?

I'll do what you say and increase the temp. We'll see !
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 09, 2014 22:47

It's hard to get a fine measurement with test strips, and if it was showing 6.5 it's very unusual unless you are using meat from a very young animal. And a drop of .5 is actually quite significant. Test it again after 12hrs in a higher temp.
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Sun Feb 09, 2014 23:17

Well, I'm only guessing about the 6.5...my test strips only going from 3 to 6. Might have been a little lower. We'll see in 12 hours...

Thank you !
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 16:52

Hi

I checked the Ph after 14 hours more fermenting time (temp up to 24C). It's still not dropping.

I'm starting to think: these test strips are not working properly ?
The starter culture was bad ?

I really don't know what to do. I have a pretty mold from the bactoferm 600 growing on the salami. The test sample looks and smells good.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Feb 10, 2014 17:12

Nicholas-

How are you testing the Ph with the strips?

If you are mixing with water check the Ph of the water before mixing with the mince.

And what % of sugar and dextrose was in the recipe?
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 17:16

Hi Bob

I'm testing by just dipping the strip inside the meat sample. I have tried mixing the mince with distilled water (50/50) but the results came out the same.

I have new strips, new TSP-X.

I used 0,3% dextrose and 0,2% sugar.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Feb 10, 2014 17:34

I would still check the Ph of the water and then just try to moisten the mince enough to get a reading, or mix like you have been doing, either way, let sit a while before testing.

The fat will smear on the Ph strips on an undiluted sample.

From my limited experience pure pork salamis (like Soppressata) always lag behind the beef/pork mixes in Ph drop.... but that could be because I also use Ph papers to test... but all seem to come out fine in the end.

Best of luck.

Bob
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 18:20

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

I did the test using a little water. Waiting a while before doing it. The distilled water certainly had a ph of over 6. But my test strip still shows around 6. How long can I keep the salami in the fermenting room ?

Nicolas
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Feb 10, 2014 18:33

Nicholas

The distilled water should be neutral at 7.

Hopefully someone else can help from here as this is now beyond my experience level.

Bob
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 19:22

Thanks a lot Bob !

I'll see how it turns out.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Mon Feb 10, 2014 19:31

(I was hoping CW would jump in here, but): Have you tasted a sample (without swallowing it of course) to see if it has any "tang"/acidity? Since you only have test strips instead of an accurate pH meter, that's what I would do.

I've found T-SPX does not lower pH as much as the other commonly available starter cultures. I've always used at least 1% dextrose when I use T-SPX and I believe you only used 0.3%. I don't think T-SPX will ferment table sugar very quickly but will with dextrose at the recommended temperatures.

That's about all I can think of right now. Hopefully CW will add his expert opinion.
Rudy
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 20:55

Hi Rudy

I'm not sure if I feel like tasting it :) but it sure smells tangy ! Looking at degree-hour table, I still could wait for a ph drop. I could also go "traditional" and hang it tonight in the curing chamber.

Thanks
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 10, 2014 23:36

Nicolas another test you can do is is to feel the test sample and see whether it firmed up , and whether the meat bonded together. If it is noticeable firmer to the touch and sort of congealed, then the bacteria is doing its job. If it is still mushy after nearly 4 days and has the same consistency as when you stuffed the sausage, then the bacteria did not take.

As to the strips, it looks like you are not using the Hydrion (MF-1605) MicroFine 4.9-6.9 strips, which are the ones recommended for testing sausage meat. As to the sugars, I think your amount of 5g combination of dextrose and sugar is adequate when you use TSP-X. But you can use more if you want a tangy sausage. Also, at this stage I would move the salami to the curing chamber, keeping the humidity over 80% for the next week and then lower it to around 75%. The bacteria will still continue to work slowly in the chamber.

Monitor it closely and keep us informed.