Cheesy flavor!!

ped
User
User

Cheesy flavor!!

Post by ped » Sun Apr 13, 2014 09:50

Assuming that a recipe has been followed correctly what would make a salame taste cheesy?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Apr 13, 2014 15:19

Does the recipe have milk powder in it?
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 15:38

Salami and cheese are in many ways related. They are both products of lactic bacteria. Both need to mature to a certain point and some types of salami and cheeses wear a coat of mould. IMHO a salami will have a "cheesy flavour" imparted by natural or commercial bacteria and moulds.
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Sun Apr 13, 2014 16:04

No milk powder just black pepper, chilli flakes, dextrose and F-LC starter. Could it be that the meat didn't bind enough? or smearing occurred that might have caused it?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 06:41

Ped, possible reasons for "off" or cheesy flavor might include any of the following:

1. Microbial contaminants either growing during fermentation or post-packaging.
2. Use of spoiled raw materials (meat).
3. Poor sanitation post-processing.
4. Chemical contaminant.

Think back and ponder any of these reasons. If the product has "sour" flavor of any type, it could be:

1. Insufficient heat treatment to destroy microorganisms (cooking process) .
2. Residual carbohydrates in excess that permits secondary fermentation.
3. Excessive moisture and residual carbohydrates in non-cooked product.
4. Insufficient drying.
5. Temperature abuse post-packaging.

Do you recognize any of these? If not, would you provide a little more information about your product?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Mon Apr 14, 2014 15:24

Think I may have found the problem! You know that there is always a bit of meat left in the sausage maker at the end, well what I usually do is roll into a sausage shape using cling film/ ceran wrap, trying to compact as much as poss, then I wrap in muslin and hang along with the correctly (chitterling/hog middle in this case) cased salume. I initially opened the muslin covered one to test and this is the one which is cheesy flavoured, today I have opened a chitterling cased one and it is good :razz: ,I assume therefore that because the meat was looser than should be, fermentation or something? was the cause?
What do you think.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 07:03

Sounds like you are a pretty good detective Ped! Glad you located the problem.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D