Accidently fermented salami for 160 hours instead of 72!

bethanymc

Accidently fermented salami for 160 hours instead of 72!

Post by bethanymc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 22:13

I made salami milano and chorizo last week. They were supposed to ferment for 72 hours at 60 degrees.

I completely forgot to hang them in the drying chamber at 72 hours and didnt realize I forgot until today! So instead of fermenting for 72 hours at 60 degrees, they fermented for 160 hours at almost 70 degrees.
When I got to them today they were covered in white mold which I know white mold is good. They smell and feel fine.

But are they dangerous to eat now? They are currently hanging in my drying chamber now 45 degrees.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 01:16

Hi bethanymc,
... shucks, I thought I was the only one who forgot things. Yup, once I cut myself and forgot to bleed! :shock:
Hey, you might have developed "souring" post-production but I believe it will be just fine. It will be pretty "tangy" no doubt, but it will be okay to eat. It could be a little gassy or sour. Slice some open and taste it. Make some notes and tell us what you find. Without looking at and tasting the final product, it's hard to tell if it sustained any real undesirable change. Also, what is the moisture drop?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
bethanymc

Post by bethanymc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 01:27

The humidity was at 94%

So the salamis sat at 72 degrees for five days at 94% humidity. I'm afraid I could make someone sick but if sourness is my only issue, I'm fine with that!
I'd hate to throw away two batches of sausage but would hate getting other people terribly ill even more.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 05:46

Naw, don't throw 'em beth. The reason we put salt into the recipe is to control the pathogenic and spoilage bacteria while the lactic acid is being produced. If you added the correct amount of salt initially, they should be just fine. The spoilage bacteria will have been kept in check while the sausage not only dries, but becomes acidic as well. Let us know what you find.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
bethanymc

Post by bethanymc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 15:48

Thanks so much! I'm so glad this forum exists!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:55

Thanks beth! Glad to help. It's nice to have you with us. Welcome aboard. Stay tuned in and let us know how the sausage turns out.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon