Another source for cultures.

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Another source for cultures.

Post by Devo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 13:51

http://www.francoisvecchio.com/starter- ... -salumi-2/

François Vecchio has over 60 years of experience in the Meat Industry, from Farm to Plate.

He specializes in Italian, Spanish, French & German traditional meat craftsmanship.

From 1962-1980, François owned and operated his family`s company in Switzerland, overseeing 700 + employees in the meat industry. In 1981, he landed in California and introduced European-style Salumi to the West Coast, first, working with Busseto Foods (formerly Rapelli of CA), then Columbus Salame Company and Niman Ranch.

He is fluent in English, French, Italian, Spanish and German. He currently mentors award-winning artisans and chefs in the US and Canada and has organized now 5 curing workshops in Alaska, also on Martha`s Vineyard and Kaua`i, with more planned in the future.

To contact François, email him at franvec@gmail.com.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Jan 09, 2015 15:21

Devo, the butchering photos were interesting especially the deboning photos where the bones came out so clean - shows how much room for improvement there is for me :roll:
Phil
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 09, 2015 17:57

Devo thanks for that. I really appreciate seeing those spec sheets on those particular cultures. I was looking at ordering that book and now maybe I will. But first I have to get through Jamie Bissonette's The New Charcuterie Cookbook, which was total waste of money and Jeffrey Weiss's inspiring Charcuteria: The Soul of Spain

Great to have another source for Danisco cultures. And if they are recommended by this guy they are worth using. He is a lot more reputable in the charcuterie world than those like Jamie Bissonette who jump on the salumi bandwagon, write a book but have no idea what they are doing. I see that the prices for the lactic cultures are lower that Chr. Hansen but the mould starter is expensive. I suspect that the Mondostart mould starter available to us here in Canada is the same product since it is also made by Danisco.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 18:22

But first I have to get through Jamie Bissonette's The New Charcuterie Cookbook, which was total waste of money and Jeffrey Weiss's inspiring Charcuteria: The Soul of Spain
Well I am glad I was not the only one disappointed in those books. That was my beer money I spent :evil:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 22:43

Devo,
Thanks for your opinion on those books. I still believe that the Rytek Kutas and the Marianski books are hard to beat for anybody that is interested in our hobby.
Cheers,
Jan.