Bacon in Brasil

spud
User
User

Bacon in Brasil

Post by spud » Wed May 06, 2015 18:01

Hi all. At present I'm in Sao Paulo and enjoying the local sausage and smoked meats for sure.
I have one question that I'm having trouble getting answered with my local colleagues.

Twice in 3 days I have had Chorizo & scrambled eggs for breakfast with a bacon sandwich on the side. Chorizo's has been fantastic but the bacon has been that salty I just about cant eat it.

From anyone's experience, better than mine, is this normal for area.
Its just goddarn awful..

Here for maybe two more weeks, anyone have some great foodie places that may need to be visited.
I'm in area around Congonhas Airport, maybe 6 min south.
Thanks & rgds
Spud
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri May 08, 2015 01:46

Hey Spud you are a lucky guy to be spending some time in Brazil. Can't really help you with suggestions for places to get some good charcuterie, but when I was there I really enjoyed Brazilian food, especially the copious amounts of grilled meats. And I ate some of the best sushi I ever had at a kilo restaurant in Sao Paulo. I'm in Kunming China right now and getting tired of Chinese food three times a day. Would love to have some Brazilian flavours right now!
Chris
cat797
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cat797 » Tue May 12, 2015 16:13

I don't have any specific information regarding Sao Paulo as I was in Belo Horizonte, but when I was working on a project in Brazil (9 trips in 6 months), I do not recall the bacon being overly salty......

As for recommendations, I would suggest getting to a Fogo de Cao, which is a churrascuria and they are available in the states and other places, but it doesn't get any better there. I think the Linguica is fantastic at Fogo, as are the chicken hearts. Obviously, Pao de queijo is good, but since you are in the state of Minas Gerais, I would search out a few rustic places and try Feijoada, which is a typical Portugese stew dish and I would also search out a chicken and okra stew, also traditional.

Good call Redzed on the sushi............Brazil has the largest population of Japanese people outside of Japan, and a lot of their cuisine is influenced by that, so the sushi is awesome!

Man the food is very good there.......You will need to go on a diet when you get home though! :mrgreen:

Ed
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Sun May 24, 2015 18:07

Thanks to you both.
Since I posted the Bacon question I have been out and about every time I can.
U are right Sushi is great here , have found a Lunch time place just around the corner from Hotel.
Brazilian meats are great as you say, there is so much choice. I have had to stop having bought lunches , just growing so fast.
Love the way that eateries (mini Bars and lunch time places ) have specials on some days. These specials are just like you would have gotten if you visited your Nan in weekends so I'm told.

Weds found the Feijoada - Now this was so fantastic. Offered were two specials. One with just regular smoked meats and the real delicious one had, tongue, heart, ear and tail in there. Saw some other stuff but didn't ask what it was.

The Bacon - seems it was a batch from new supplier...

Had Mortadella Sandwich and it is advertised with 250g meat. what a mouthful. Another famous one from SP. Cant stay here to long, will have to buy bigger cloths.
Rgds Spud
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat May 30, 2015 16:35

Hi Spud - I had a meal of a lifetime at Figueira Rubaiyat. It's very pricey but worth it if you're up for a splurge. What amazed me was the variety of the meats on the menu. Do you want your steak from Brazil, Argentina, or other some other county? I went with a friend from Mexico who was familiar with Brazilian fare and new what to order. We had a ribeye for two from Brazil and it was one of the best cuts of meat I've ever had, served sizzling on a cast iron grate. We also had Iberico ham, which was served in great quantity. (You can see why the bill came in high!). Also an excellent Uruguayan wine called a tannat. The dining room is lovely with a huge and ancient fig tree that stretches over the whole area and out the sides.

Wasn't so impressed with Brazilian linguica - guess I'm prejudicial to the Azorean type I grew up with.

I was only in Sao Paulo for a few days on a business trip. Wish I could have been there longer, at least for the food part.

Jeff