Two new coppas and two new bresoalas into the drying chamber

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Two new coppas and two new bresoalas into the drying chamber

Post by harleykids » Wed Mar 09, 2016 05:17

14 days had passed and my two coppa and two bresoala are cured.

Cased them, netted and tied, and moved to the drying chamber today.

I did one of each using the Texel DCM-1, so hopefully there will be a discernable difference in flavor, color, and texture. They are clearly marked so I can keep track of them.

I decided to diversify on these, so each one was cured and rubbed in a different blend of spices:

coppa #1:
Cured with sea salt, cure #2, black pepper, sweet pimenton paprika, corriander, and crushed red chili flakes (Texel DCM-1)

Rubbed with sweet pimenton, crushed red chili flakes, Calabrian sweet pepper powder, and a bit of demarara sugar, then cased.

coppa #2:
Cured with sea salt, cure #2, white pepper, sumac, garlic powder (no Texel)

Rubbed with sumac, white pepper, demarara, then cased.

bresoala #3:
Cured with sea salt, cure #2, black pepper, bay leaf, thyme (Texel DCM-1)

Rubbed with thyme, black pepper, smoked paprika, oregano, Old Bay seasoning, then cased.

bresoala #4:
Cured with sea salt, cure #2, 55K cayenne pepper, corriander, rosemary, sweet pepper powder (no Texel)

Rubbed with 55K cayenne, corriander, sumac, rosemary, and a bit of sweet pimenton, then cased.

Mixed up my M600 mold for its 12 hour bloom, will spray all four tomorrow evening.

Hopefully they will all yield different finished flavor profiles! If they turn out as good as my first coppa and bresoala try, then I will be very happy!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Mar 09, 2016 07:29

All looking divine! You are quickly becoming a master of the craft!Image

I still have a couple of vacced coppas in my fridge where one was cured with Texel DCM-1 and the other not. Gonna have to taste them soon. :smile:
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Wed Mar 09, 2016 16:17

Definitely not a master, but starting to get the hang of it! Still not sure about my Salumi making skills, but I will keep trying! And I plan on doing some fresh sausages, brats, etc this summer for the grill. That will probably be another learning curve as well!

Yes, please let me know how the Texel muscle turned out! I am very curious to see if it made a difference.

I plan on doing a side by side comparison on my coppa and bresoala, since I did one of each with the Texel added to the initial cure.

Since they should finish about the same time, it will be interesting to see the color side by side, and the texture and taste too, in both bresoala and coppa.

And I have yet to do a lonzino...I really need to do one of those. Would like to find some Vallencia oranges, or even better, some nice blood oranges to make your garlic and orange lonzino recipe.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Wed Mar 09, 2016 16:23

In the pic above you can easily tell which two muscles were rubbed with sumac before casing...the two that look purple! 😀. Front left, back right.
Should be very interesting! One coppa and one bresoala were rubbed with sumac.