Guava wood

xúc xích

Guava wood

Post by xúc xích » Fri May 27, 2016 13:18

I live in Vietnam, the lady next door cut down her Guava tree. Do any of the Tropical members have any experience with Guava wood for smoking? I bought the whole tree, for 50 cents a kilo.

It's on the roof drying out(and she is happy to chop it into smaller bits for me).
I've been using Agarwood, but it's strong and bitter if your not careful(creosote).... I'm just hoping Guava wood is a more mild smoke, so I can smoke longer, with a more gentle smoke.
Any advise from Tropical members, most welcome.
Greg, Vietnam
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri May 27, 2016 16:23

Don't know if this will help but here any fruit bearing wood is good to smoke with and I can't think of any exceptions.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri May 27, 2016 19:23

I remember reading somewhere a while back that Guava is a good wood for smoking. And I once went to a barbecue in Hawaii where they grilled pork over guava wood. It tasted fantastic. Go for it!

But do prepare a report on the flavour you achieved with the guava wood. Will help others in the future.
xúc xích

Post by xúc xích » Sat May 28, 2016 05:32

Thanks Guys, I'll give a full report, when it all dries out, and smoke a batch of Xuc Xich (Sausage)
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat May 28, 2016 12:18

Here's what I got from a site re guava wood.

Guava
Flowery fruity taste.
Good for all meats,

This is the site if anyone is interested.

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/04/0 ... t-depends/
xúc xích

Post by xúc xích » Sun Jun 19, 2016 09:51

Well, my friends, I can assure you all, that Guava wood IS AWESOME.
A very clean white smoke and, a most beautiful flavor. Very similar to peach and apple.
On the sausages I smoked(10Kg total), Kransky and Cabana, the reddy/brown color appeared, quite fast.
1 hour of cold/warm smoke, then up the heat, and up to 69c in just under an hour.
I'm using collagen skins, 50% lean leg meat and 50% pork belly. The shoulder meat/Pork butt is shoddy and lean, here in Vietnam.
Great outcome, great wood.
The lady has 2 trees she wants cut down..... They have a small sweet fruit, like a tiny fig, or small seed cherry.... The Vietnamese name, does not translate. I'll get a botanical name so I'll keep you informed, for the tropical/Asian members...
But WOW, that Guava wood, is the 'Bee's Knees'.
Greg
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 19, 2016 22:03

Thanks Greg. That info will definately help others. I wish I could try it. :???:

BTW, below is a pic I took in Hoi An a few years ago. Is that guy stll hanging around the yellow bridge? :lol:

xúc xích

Post by xúc xích » Mon Jun 20, 2016 08:46

I'll ask my VN friend, he'll probably know him..... To me they all look the same. And my VN friend tells me, all us Westerners look the same...lol