Kielbasa Lososiowa (Salmon Sausage)

BlueMonkey
User
User

Kielbasa Lososiowa (Salmon Sausage)

Post by BlueMonkey » Mon Jul 04, 2016 13:04

Hi,
Questiuon please.
I am looking at making Lososiow, but in a quandary.

Recipe in meats and sausages calls for straight mixing with nitrates / spices, then stuffing, were-as Marianski in the Polish Sausages book refers to curing the meat for several days over a strainer prior to mincing.

Should I go the Polish Sausage book way, or the adapted recipe in meatsandsausages ?

Secondly, the final drying in air at about 12 degrees. Coud this still be undertaken in the Chamber? Or in a seperate chamber with lower humidity? Temperatures here are fluctuating too much, so i would feel safer with a controlled environment...

Thanks again.

Tony
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jul 04, 2016 17:30

Hmm, for some reason I don't seem to find that recipe in Marianski's book. I found a version on the Polish website and the "official" version does ask for the meat to be cubed, cured, refrigerated and strained for 2 days. That recipe also states that after grinding/cubing and combining the pork and beef and the spices, the meat be refrigerated for a further 24 hours befre stuffing.

So the original verion of the recipe used saltpetre (nitrate) and that is why it required the longer curing time. Looks like Marianski shortened the prep time in the internet version because he is using nitrites which act almost immediately.

In Poland they still continue to cube the meat and cure for two days even though they also now use nitrite. There is a widespread belief that the sausage is tastier and easier to work with when you do that. And I most of the time I also do it that way.

Let us know how the sausage turns out. Łososiowa is a very unique and refined sausage so I am curious as to the results and whether you like it.
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Tue Jul 05, 2016 00:35

Thanks.

I was just concerned that perhaps the salt would draw out the liquid (obviously) but then drain away the cure at the same time with the result it does not get the full percentage of cure.

The book was Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes and Instructions
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jul 05, 2016 16:31

I must be going blind! I just don't see that recipe in my book. I see the Metka Łososiowa but not the Kiełbasa Łososiowa. :???: :shock:
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Wed Jul 06, 2016 02:03

Then Polish cold Smoked, Metka Pomerania, Salami, then Lososiowa. So only about 4 reipes further in. Next to your socks......

Another question. many of these recipes 9 in the polish book) refer to cure #1. Should i keep to cure #1, or change to cure #2?

For example, please refer to the Hungarian Salami ( NOT the sausage) It seems to refer to a heck of a lot of cure #1, and i would presume this is possibly too much, and should it realy be cure #2?

This is another Salami I wish to embark on alongside the Bydgoska and the Polish cold smoked 9 and of course the Salmon.....)