Cased and uncased meats in the chamber together?

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Cased and uncased meats in the chamber together?

Post by fatboyz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 04:55

Hey fellas quick question. If you put uncased meat like speck in the chamber with cased meat covered in surface mold won't the speck get all moldy. I can cure my speck in the shed in the winter as I keep the temp at 13-14C but in the summer its too hot in there so it will need to go in the chamber. If I wrapped the speck in those hog casing sheets and then peeled it off after drying would that work. What do you guys do? I'm just getting my chamber going now.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 21, 2017 08:04

If you are making speck, I'm assuming that you will be cold smoking it. Mould does not like smoke so it should be OK with in your curing chamber for a while. After two or three weeks a bit of mould will appear on the meat and you can wipe it off with a damp cloth with a bit of vinegar and rehang, or you could also give it a few more hours of cold smoke. Or you could just leave it alone. Casing it in the hog sheets will make it easier to have a mould free product when you are ready to pull it, because then you just peel the casing off along with any mould. I leave the mould on if just a small amount.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7848&start=0
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:26

Yup, definitely cold smoking it. I'm going to try one of those amaz-n- smoke tubes for smoking over several days.