Dirty Socks

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Dirty Socks

Post by STICKSTRING » Fri Feb 17, 2017 07:10

Hello all,
A family member and I have a large 60lb batch of Venison Salametti currently hanging. They are almost done, maybe another week to week and half to go, although we have noticed a strong smell of "dirty socks" within the last few days. A few of the sticks are slightly closer to being done then the others, we have taken a few of these stick out to try. Flavor and texture is perfect. Smell however is a whole different story. Family member had to wash his hands to get the smell off of his hands after slicing.
A old timer salami maker friend of mine told me there is nothing to worry about as it's a normal smell created by lactic acid.
Is there anyway to get rid of the smell on the finished product? Or at least tame the smell down? Like I said, the flavor is great, and so is the texture. I will have no problem eating and enjoying these, but if I can remove or tame the smell I would like to try.

Thanks guys and gals!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Feb 17, 2017 13:27

Never had that happen. I would try peeling, vac seal, and refrigerate. Maybe its just the casing.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Feb 17, 2017 13:56

Is it really a dirty sock smell or a cheesy smell?
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:43

LOUSANTELLO wrote:Is it really a dirty sock smell or a cheesy smell?
Yes, possibly a bit of both.its a smell I've never encountered before making these. I have heard many people compare dirty socks to certain cheese's, so yes, I guess you could describe it as a very strong stinky cheese smell.

Thanks
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:44

Bob K wrote:Never had that happen. I would try peeling, vac seal, and refrigerate. Maybe its just the casing.
Thank You Bob,
Nick
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Feb 18, 2017 04:53

My soppressata had the cheesy smell to it. It didn't bother me at all. I pulled the casings and vacuum packed them. They've been in the refrigerator for 8 months and it subsided and the flavor got that much better.