Sopressata drying

MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09

redzed wrote:Hey MidWestBud congrats on your curing chamber conversion and entry into the balck magic art of dry curing!. It will probably take a few rounds of salami production in getting to know your chamber and how to tweak it. As Bob pointed out, there are so many factors to consider and we have to make the best with what we have since an Italian made small curing chamber will cost around $25k. :shock:

You did well in not drilling into the sides or top of the unit. I learned my lesson the hard way. :oops: I have recently activated my new chamber and it runs very differently than the previous one that I had for four years. I loaded it with several large pieces of whole muscle meats and about 7kg of salami. The humidity shot up and would drop only briefly when the compressor kicked in. I ran the intake and exhaust fans every hour for several minutes and it still did not help that much, as the RH would continually spike to the upper 80's. I finally solved the issue with slowing the 12V fans and running them continuously on 6v. I have one of those multi voltage universal adapters and it works great. Velocity is really low, but the RH has been hovering around 78-82. my humidifier is disconnected for the time being.
Thanks! I tried to find a timer locally but best I found was a digital that allowed 20 on/off events per 24 hours-every 36 minutes didn't cut it. I've ordered a humidity/dehumidifier controller (Inkbird IHC 200) that arrives next week and will try that first with the fan and then with a dehumidifier. Current plan is to take the sopressata to 35-40% and then try it.

That brings up another question that I haven't been able to answer by perusing this forum. Can I cut off an end for a taste test and then rehang the sausage for further drying???

One last comment... I'll be visiting your fair isle this October as part of a cruise/Canadian Rockies land extension. I've heard wonderful comments about Victoria and Vancouver Island.

Buddy
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Mar 23, 2017 13:00

MidWestBud wrote:That brings up another question that I haven't been able to answer by perusing this forum. Can I cut off an end for a taste test and then rehang the sausage for further drying???
No problem at all, you will just have to sacrifice a slice on the cut end next time.
MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Thu Mar 23, 2017 13:20

Bob K wrote:
MidWestBud wrote:That brings up another question that I haven't been able to answer by perusing this forum. Can I cut off an end for a taste test and then rehang the sausage for further drying???
No problem at all, you will just have to sacrifice a slice on the cut end next time.

Yes!!! :mrgreen:

If I may, another somewhat unrelated question. I've seen curing chamber pictures chock full of different sausages and muscle meat. From what I have read, there are different requirements for curing/drying temps and humidity. Doesn't grouping like this break the "rules" for specific types of cured meats?

Buddy
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Mar 23, 2017 13:59

MidWestBud wrote: From what I have read, there are different requirements for curing/drying temps and humidity. Doesn't grouping like this break the "rules" for specific types of cured meats?
The reality is, as with any recipe, many of the specific humidity levels and temps for drying are suggestions. Most all will work in temps within a range of 50-60°f and 75 -85% humidity levels. Use common sense.
MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Thu Apr 06, 2017 13:50

Bob K wrote:The weight loss is a bit fast. but you should now notice a noticeable slowdown, keep the humidity level 80-82%...
Just wanted to note that your comment on the slowdown was spot on. Last weigh in pegged loss at 32% for the 5 week mark - only 4% in the last 2 weeks. Still haven't cut into it it plan on it this weekend. Just now finishing my pastrami so will need a snack soon. :wink:

Buddy
MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Sat Apr 08, 2017 13:31

Well, 6 Weeks and 35% loss:

Couldn't resist sampling

I have the expected case hardening but not as bad it could have been. Good flavor and consistency. The center meat is firm so that is a plus. Note the finer grind on fat - have to do that to please wife.

Think I will arrest further drying (not actively encourage it) as I am pleased with this firmness.

Buddy
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Apr 08, 2017 13:45

That looks great! I don't like large pieces of fat either. :grin: Did you use hard back fat? I would not call that case hardening, a little dry rim is normal and difficult to avoid. Vacuum sealed and refrigerated it will all but disappear in several weeks. You could also leave one of the chubs in the chamber till a 40% loss so you can see the difference.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 08, 2017 16:15

That looks wonderful.
MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Sat Apr 08, 2017 17:57

Thanks! I will leave one in the chamber - great suggestion. Right now, after the fish fry last night and church grounds cleanup this morning, I'm putting my feet up and snoozing. If I would've known that retirement was this taxing I might've worked longer...just kidding. The last 6 years have been more fun than I expected.

Next up is some hot (and mild) Italian sausage and brats - used the last of my brats the other night. I have some salami lined up for my next dry curing project.

Thanks again for the comments.

Buddy

Edit to comment on the Butterbean stuffing horn. Never would have thought of that one. It is a pleasure to stuff the larger diameter casings after working with 19mm! :shock:
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Apr 10, 2017 06:36

Hey Buddy, you've crafted an excellent salami! Looks like you've been at it for a while. Congrats!Image
MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Mon Apr 10, 2017 13:10

redzed wrote:Hey Buddy, you've crafted an excellent salami! Looks like you've been at it for a while. Congrats![url=http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/yes/w ... oticon.gif]Image[/URL]
Thanks! I'm pleased with the first attempt at dry curing and already planning for more.

Buddy
MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Sat Apr 29, 2017 13:53

Just a quick follow up. I allowed the remaining chub to dry to 39.4% (9 weeks). The flavor definitely improved but noticed an increase in a degree of hardness on outer edge - not that it is too hard, just more firm. Thanks to all who answered my questions. Now to slice and vac seal.

Buddy
Buddy
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Apr 29, 2017 14:36

Buddy-
Don't slice before vac sealing. Vac seal and store in fridge in chunks. The moisture and texture will even out.
Looks Great!
MidWestBud
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MidWestBud » Sat Apr 29, 2017 14:45

Bob K wrote:Buddy-
Don't slice before vac sealing. Vac seal and store in fridge in chunks. The moisture and texture will even out.
Looks Great!

Buddy
Buddy