Page 1 of 8
Cured, dried and fermented by StefanS
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 18:36
My curing chamber finally is ready so i made some efforts to prepare some staff to be matured/aging.
Some of then not ready yet (during curing) but 4 pieces in.
#1 - pork loin 07 kg. (salt, cure #1, Black pepper, garlic and red Vermouth 25 ml/kg, cured for 18 days, staffed in beef bung, used Bactoferm Mold 600)
#2 - pork loin 1.24 kg - with oranges
#3 - pork loin - salt, cure, black pepper, garlic, allspices, juniper berries, sugar, hot red pepper.
#4 - beef round-aye - salt, cure #1, black pepper, hot red pepper, sweet red pepper
Here in beef bung ready to go in curing chamber
After one week in curing chamber - mold growing
More pieces are during curing so will show them later.
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 20:48
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 21:18
Wow! You are certainly giving the new chamber a thorough trial! What type in in the Bung?
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 03:36
There is Genoa type, but it is not Bung - it is what Butcher/packer called - Genoa Sack Hog/Beef casing - on label it calls - usage: for 5 Lb of meat.......
for my surprise there is 11 Lb !
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:34
Those casings sound interesting as they are 2 layers, Pork bung and beef middles as liner.
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 00:24
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 00:42
Nice work. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:20
What was wrong with the Hog bladder? Also, Did you sew the ends of the casings?
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 13:15
PostPosted: Today 7:20 Post subject:
What was wrong with the Hog bladder?
I have soaked it for 18 hours but bladder do not return to elastic form so it wasn't stretchable, in some areas were air pockets so it should be much more densely tied up. Also it is more difficult to saw opening - easy to tear up needle holes.
Bob K - Also, Did you sew the ends of the casings?
Yes, IMO that way looks more elegant
Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 17:45
Stefan you are certainly running on all 8 cylinders! Super looking products and such professional tying! I am jealous! And Podlasiak sure looks happy in helping you and modelling the meats! How is your curing chamer handling all the new products loaded in there? Are managing to keep the humidity at around 80%?
Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 21:09
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:45 Post subject:
Stefan you are certainly running on all 8 cylinders!
hmmm - but soon it will be V12 with turbo.....
Are managing to keep the humidity at around 80%?
after i have added additional control and dehumidifier it is running perfectly in that unsteady weather - outside humidity - 95%, temp. 48-56F and rain, rain...
Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 02:47
After 5 weeks first 4 pieces have been cut and tested. They are marked on previous pictures as #1, #2, #3 and #4. Weight loss is 28% beef (biggest piece) to 34% smaller piece of pork loin.
pork loin #1 - adition of 20 ml Sweet Red Vermouth
Pork loin #2 - orange Lonzino
#3 - spicy Lonzino - BP, garlic, allspice, juniper berries, red hot Cajun pepper,
#4 - beef roundeye - hot with addition of sweet red pepper and hot Cajun pepper.
here are beef #4 and Lonzino #3
Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 04:11
They look absolutely delicious Stefan!
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 16:28
Until photobucket will be totally sucker would like to show you a few pictures of my results - just pictures:
And here - preparations to a new experiment -
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 18:22
Thanks for sharing - perfect salami.