Starting first Lonzino tonight

Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 05:17

Taste is good. Garlic powder may have been a bit potent, but then I did not rinse them off after curing, I just shoved them in the bung, whatever spices would stick. Probably next time I will rinse that off. I'm looking forward to the next one that has more warm spices in it. Should be interesting. I have a feeling it may be ready this weekend, so I'll probably check on Sat to see how it's doing.

I've read a few stories of those who didn't use a bung and got pretty bad case hardening. Collagen sheets work too I'm told, but I did end up picking up another bung when I was last at Allied Kenco.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Aug 16, 2017 16:31

Looks great Sleebus. A little dry rim is expected. That is not case hardening.

Any recipe is a starting point...adjust the next time to fit your tastes!!
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 23:24

Ok, second Lonzino came out today. This is the one with cloves, cinnamon and juniper. Really digging the flavor on this one.

Less hard rim on this one

So now the chamber is empty. With my folk's anniversary party coming up, I really don't have time to do anything and get it in the chamber...days are quite full until after Sept 9th. So, in the mean time I've bumped the temp in the empty chamber to 65° and set the humidity at 40% to limit electricity use and keep the wrong molds at bay.

Next up will be Saucisson de L`Ardéche, and probably Lomo embuchado after that.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 20, 2017 04:18

Downright near perfect as far as the finish! I'm actually quite envious how evenly dried the loins that you have done came out. Congrats!
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 23:09

Couldn't have done it without the help and guidance from this group here, Redzed! I'm really looking forward to doing more of these. Now that I've got the whole EQ cure down, I wouldn't have any problem hanging 20# of these at a whack, maybe more...especially when I was seeing loin on sale for $1.00/lb. I need to give a call to the local meat packer and see if I can source some of the hard back fat for the saucisson sec I want to do next.