Starting first Lonzino tonight

Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 01:26

So in this week's loss report, one is at 29%, the other is at 27%. I figure I've got at least 2 more weeks to go. They smell great, can't wait to get into one. Flipping them around hasn't done much for mold growth on the other side. I'm still maintaining 80% humidity.

So I ordered one of the "drop" humidifiers as mentioned above. It arrived today and I was all excited because this meant no more filling the container every 1.5 days. Well, filled it up only to find that the glue holding the bottom on the tank had failed and water ran out everywhere. Now in the process of requesting a refund through eBay.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jul 12, 2017 17:17

Often the humidifier runs when it really doesn't need to. That happens when the compressor kicks in and the chamber is is given a jolt of cold air. The humidity sensor reacts (especially my Auber) and shows a low humidity reading and the humidifier kicks in. This will deplete your water quickly, especially if the ambient temp is high and the unit cycles often. This temporary drop in humidity does not reflect the actual condition in the chamber, since the humidity quickly rises in chamber once the compressor stops running, even when the humidifier is disconnected. To compensate, I set my humidifier to cut it at 70% rather than the 80% which I want to maintain. I monitor the humidity in the chamber and if I see that it stays low when the compressor is not running, I adjust accordingly.
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 17:27

My humidity always heads to 50% and stays there if my humidifier runs out of water. Seems the frost free is very efficient at removing water when it's running.

At any rate, I got a refund from the seller for the broken humidifier, and they told me to not bother shipping it back. SO! Out comes the screwdriver, and I broke the remaining bond around the base. A bit of clear butyl rubber around the edge and 24 hours later I've got a watertight seal.

This thing really pumps out the mist, maybe a bit too much. Might have to turn it down so I don't overshoot the humidity.

Out with the old

In with the new

On that note, since I don't have use for the old humidifier, if anyone needs a small ultrasonic humidifier, send me a PM. The price will include what's in the pic and the two power adapters to run it. Great for a small chamber, and works fine in a big one, but keep in mind the water volume is somewhat small. If your chamber runs frequently, you'll likely be filling it a lot.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jul 17, 2017 17:52

Those Lonzinos look lonely :wink:
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 15:55

Bob K wrote:Those Lonzinos look lonely :wink:
Yes they do. I want to do a saucisson sec next (likely Saucisson de L'Ardeche) but that will require having the chamber empty for fermentation, etc. This brings me to my next question...

Ok, so in real life, I'm an estimator for oil and gas. I deal with numbers, forecasts, statistical analysis, etc. every day. Today is Weigh Day, so it seemed logical to forecast out a finish date for the Lonzino using regression analysis.

That's 4 data points with a power regression so I can come up with a somewhat reasonable target date. Today marks 34 days in the chamber, and I'm showing weight loss of 32% and 30%. I know the target for Lonzino was 1 month (30 days) and 40%. I'm not there yet, and I'm hoping I haven't got into a case hardening scenario. I know real world results don't always play by what the recipe says, so i'm not terribly concerned about not hitting 40% WL on day 30.

So, running the numbers back through the regression equation, I have a forecast of 52 and 58 days to hit the 40% loss number. That's ~3 weeks longer than was suggested by the recipe and I'm wondering if that's normal and I shouldn't be worried? I'm fully aware how wonky forecasts can be, and that statistics and charts are the best way to lie and this may be complete BS. However, it's a fun academic exercise using some of the tools I use to do my day job.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jul 18, 2017 16:22

Bottom line is the weight loss will slow as it drys...may take longer than anticipated , but its not too long, 60 days is reasonable, at 90 the flavor will have improved. :cool:
Sleebus wrote:but that will require having the chamber empty for fermentation,
What you really need to think about is a separate fermentation area, can be simple as a cooler like Redzed uses.

Or Build one...

They have multiple uses!

Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 17:11

Bob K wrote:Bottom line is the weight loss will slow as it drys...may take longer than anticipated , but its not too long, 60 days is reasonable, at 90 the flavor will have improved. :cool:
Ah good. That makes me feel much better.
Bob K wrote:
Sleebus wrote:but that will require having the chamber empty for fermentation,
What you really need to think about is a separate fermentation area, can be simple like a cooler like Redzed uses.

Or Build one...
That's true. Problem here is that in the summer finding a place that stays around 70° is a challenge. Doesn't work in the house as we have zoned A/C, so one side is usually around 80° and it switches depending on day or night. Can't just use a box in the shed because it's too hot. I do have a large dorm fridge that I could put a temp controller on, but the sausage would just have to be stacked in there, not hung...would that be ok? Might be an opportunity for me to buy that cheap WiFi controller I found on eBay a while back.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jul 19, 2017 13:03

They would be better hanging as they drip and you want them to start losing moisture.

Simple set up . This is Redzeds.

Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 14:35

Bob K wrote:They would be better hanging as they drip and you want them to start losing moisture.

Simple set up . This is Redzeds.
Ok, bummer that they should be hanging. However, the cooler would not work for me as the ambient temps inside or out exceed the top temps for fermentation. Our house doesn't get any cooler than 75, and it's over 90 outside every day, so that would work great during winter! We don't have basements down here in Texas. My only other options are to do them in my big chamber, or stack them like I said in that smaller dorm fridge. I also wonder if I was to do that with collagen casings if they would stick and tear as a result of them being placed on each other...now that would be a disaster!

Question on the pic above...I see those are collagen, what size would you guess those are? My batch I'm planning is 12#, so 6 2# links would fit nicely.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jul 19, 2017 15:13

Not sure on the casing size or material. If you want to link them natural would be the best to use.

Lots of folks hang chubs in a dorm fridge. Why not you?
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 16:02

Bob K wrote:Lots of folks hang chubs in a dorm fridge. Why not you?
Oh I'm totally down with it...just not sure it'll all fit! I'll have to see what I can do to make it work. :grin:
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 14:06

Looks like I'm about 6 days out or so from the first one being done. The power regression forecast has held pretty well, only has moved about 1 day even after two weeks more data. Both seems to be progressing similarly.

Anxiously waiting for ~1 week!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Aug 01, 2017 15:47

Sleebus wrote:Anxiously waiting for ~1 week!
I'm surprised you made it this long :mrgreen:
That curve should start flattening out...and as long as you don't go too much higher than a 42% weight loss.....at around 90 days you should notice a more complex flavor. At least for the second one!
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 22:38

First Lonzino (Bob's recipe) hit 40% WL, so in the slicer it goes!

Several slices in. Showing some case hardening.

Not too bad on the board

I had something to do with just about everything on today's lunch board. I aged the Brie in my chamber, because it's never aged enough when I buy it. The smoked sausage is from a previous run, and the Lonzino just came out. Off to the left, is some fig jam that my wife made from our fig tree. A very tasty lunch!

So, took 62 days to hit 40% WL. It was quite good, so I peeled the bung off and vac-sealed it, hopefully that will mitigate some of the case hardening a bit. The juniper Lonzino should be ready in about a week, and then I do it all over again!
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Wed Aug 16, 2017 04:10

Looks great Sleebus! How was the taste?

Chris/Bob, do you prefer your lonzino cased or uncased? And difference, other than cased should have less of a case hardening ring versus uncased, in general?

Thx
Jason