sodium metabisulfite

northener
User
User

sodium metabisulfite

Post by northener » Fri Oct 20, 2017 09:11

hi i have been using a sausage meal spanish chozizo it has sodium metabisulfite in it can i use this to make dry ferm sausage as i like the flavor will this affect the cure2 in the dry or the culture also it has salt 9020mg per100g serve how much more do i add thks
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Oct 20, 2017 17:10

When added to food products sodium metabisulfite is an anti-oxidant and preservative. It is also an antimicrobial so it probably will affect or totally kill any starter you would add to the meat. I use a form of it SO2 (sulphur dioxide) in wine making. A small amount is effective in preventing fermentation by wild yeasts and the starter yeasts are developed to tolerate it up to certain levels. So I would not recommend adding it, but you can experiment. You can easily make a dry cured chorizo in a smaller casing that is dried/matured only and not fermented. Many of the Spanish chorizos are made without cultures and there is probably very little fermentation if any that occurs in the process.

Double check that salt amount. 9020mg per 100g is a huge amount. There are 1,000 miligrams in a gram so that works out to 9 grams. In a kilo there would be 90 grams! We usually add 25-30 grams of salt to dry cured products and 15-20 grams to fresh and smoked sausages. 9020mg is also about 4 times the recommended amount of sodium per day for adults.
northener
User
User

Post by northener » Sun Oct 22, 2017 08:03

thks it is a premix for fresh sausage very nice just being lazy i guess a hell of lot of salt in it will go back to what i know works
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 22, 2017 17:10

OK, if the above salt amount is in the spice blend then you will be probably well within limits on the salt that ends up in the sausage. I thought that the amount was in the sausage meat. What amount of the premix is recommended to go into the meat?

As to the sulfite, it's probably a very small amount, so it's worth a try.
northener
User
User

Post by northener » Wed Oct 25, 2017 09:44

thats right now that i think about it 100g add to 1 kg meat will give it a go with cure no1 hang and smoke then poach will let you know