Cultures

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 12, 2018 14:23

If you want a jump start on the book most of these topics are direct excerpts. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... ed-sausage
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Fri Jan 12, 2018 16:05

Thanks BobK for the advice but reading as I have said before is no subistitute for hands on experience. My question is about an odd ball experience that probably has no answer, certainly not going to be in a book. I`m just putting out questions in the hope someone make have been where I am now.

Have you ever just tested the PH of a culture before adding to the product? It may not be important but interesting. I`ll be ording a PH meter, trying to narrow down the options. BTY thanks for the suggestions.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 17:02

Instyructions for using starter cultures:

1. Weigh approx. .3 to .5g of culture per kg of meat block.
2.. Re hydrate the culture in 50ml. of distilled or boiled and cooled water for 20-30 minutes before adding to meat batter. Do not mix the culture with any other ingredients, especially salt. Do not add culture to meat if you are not going to stuff immediately after.
3. If you cured the meat before grinding, add the culture to the batter first and mix well. If not, add after the salt has been added and dispersed well.
4. Check the pH of the meat before adding the culture.
5. Use the small ball of meat left in the stuffer to test the pH. Put it into a small dish like a ramaken or just wrap loosely in plastic.
6. No need to test during the first 12 hours as not much is happening. The meat will be very cold and it takes time for the bacteria to multiply and produce lactic acid.
7. If using strips you have to make a homogenized slurry uring a blender. Just adding water and mixing will not give you accurate readings.

Please read Kyle Hilderbrandt's manual on measuring pH.
https://ourdailybrine.com/how-to-test-t ... and-drink/
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Fri Jan 12, 2018 17:32

Redzed thanks for the list. I did everything pretty must as your list says EXCEPT. I didn`t stuff in casings. It`s been two days now not stuffed. Should I get rid of everthing or continue on. Stuffing today?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 17:44

The meat is not spoiled, but you might have problems with the bind sice some fementation has already taken place. Stuff as soon as you can and see what happens.
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Sat Jan 13, 2018 21:54

Redzed

It`s all stuffed and netted. Time will tell. Thanks for all the help from everyone. I`m sure at times you would love to treat some newbees like glow sticks; break them in half and shake like hell until the light goes on. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: