Sausage Ready

Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Sausage Ready

Post by Kijek » Wed Jan 24, 2018 21:15

Ok, my dried sausage is ready to pull from chamber.
This is the first time I used Bac600, so what do I do when I take the sausage out, clean (brush) off the mold or what?

Also, I always get the shinkage and the sausage doesn't stay round to some extent, why is that?

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jan 24, 2018 22:33

If you plan on vac sealing them just remove the casings. Otherwise just brush them off. No idea on the flat shape.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Wed Jan 24, 2018 23:12

Yup that's is what I'm planning to do vac seal. Thanks
Also, it happens everytime when I make sausage, the shapes come out sooo irregular?
Oh well still taste good, and I got rid of about 95% of that TANG taste, super pleased.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 18, 2018 15:35

Kijek wrote:Could it be that I put too much water in the mix to make it flow better?
You shouldn't ad water to a sausage that is dried as it adds to the time spent in the danger zone of bacterial growth.

I always wondered if the stuffers with the larger dia cylinder would make stuffing more difficult. The laws of physics would say yes.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 18, 2018 16:23

Kijek-
You posted pics of this sausage in Lou's Italian sausage thread. What type is it and what was the fat content? Also add recipe used. Less fat = more shrinkage.
A lean sausage with added water could explain your dilema.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sun Feb 18, 2018 16:42

I do add water, but will stop doing that, and yes I do use very little fat, not sure on percentage as I eye ball it and keep the fat content low.
All this info is great and is helping me a ton in creating what I'm looking for. Thanks

Oh those pics were of my dried sausage using 42mm natural casing.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 00:55

Hi Kijek,

What are your conditions during fermentation? Temp/RH and for how long. Also what are your conditions for drying? Temp/RH and for how long?

Eric
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Fri Mar 02, 2018 01:32

You know Cajuneric, I would love to explain what I did, but I really can't.
This was my first try in using my chamber and starter cultures and I basically tried to follow recommended temps and humidity, but ended up kind of jumping around too much as I was learning.
I was very lucky I did not loss anything and it turned out very good.

With the help of others in here and purchasing and reading the book, "The Art of Making Fermented Sausage". I now have a better understanding of what needs to be done.

So, my next batch that I'm hoping to start in a few weeks, I will apply what I learned and take careful notes on what I did, as I sure I will still need to adjust things.

My best advice, do yourself a favor and buy the book and read it and ask questions in here, and in no time at all you should be off to a safe start.
Sorry I can't offer more then that.

HERE IS THE LINK FOR THE BOOK
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Making-Ferme ... ed+sausage