Best before dates on cultures

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Best before dates on cultures

Post by Devo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 20:27

SO I have some that are well beyond the best before date. I know I read on here someplace people have used them past the best before date and it was all fine.
So when is to long just to long and you have to throw them out?
I have some Bactoferm F-RM-52 thats been around for a fair bit. Its been in the freezer all the time si I am wondering if it might be still good. The high price we pay for this stuff in Canada I would hate to throw it out. :)
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Feb 21, 2018 22:57

I am not sure how long is too long but I have used it a year past its best by date, Its a good idea to use more than normal to get a viable amount.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 22, 2018 04:10

Because I am a sucker for anything new and like to to experiment with everything, I currently have at least 8 different starter cultures in my freezer. For the most part I ignore the "best before" date and have had very good fermentations with cultures that were 3 years old. Just use more than you would with fresh cultures. The bacteria slowly will die off over time, but not all cells just expire and die after a certain date. And as long as there is enough of them to get going, they will grow and multiply if they have sugar to metabolize.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Thu Feb 22, 2018 06:25

How much more is more?
Double the amount?
(I got the same issue as Devo, and its probably even more difficult to get anything here)
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 14:09

With "fresh" packet - usually I'm using 0.5g/kg of mince. After half of expiration date - 0.7-0.8g/kg. After expiration date - 1 g/kg. Also keep in mind that if you are using double/triple amount you have to lower a dextrose amount added to mince. Clean bacteria for 100kg of meat will weight around only 1 g. In sachet producer is using a"carrier " for that bacteria - usually dextrose - it is around 75-80% of sachet weight.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 23, 2018 17:35

sambal badjak wrote:How much more is more?
Double the amount?
(I got the same issue as Devo, and its probably even more difficult to get anything here)
Tough question since we have no way to test what proportion of the cells are still alive. If you are over 2 years past the best before date, add 2 - 3 times the recommended amount. Keep in mind that you can't over inoculate, the bacteria will grow and multiply only if it has sources of sugars.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Sat Feb 24, 2018 06:12

Thanks Redzed and StefanS.
So rather too much than too little...
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)