Bacon wrapped Filet!!

cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Bacon wrapped Filet!!

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 15:26

So a few weeks ago I started thinking about all the different possibilities there was in the world of Salumi making. Being new and rather green to this I started experimenting with different proteins. Duck, bacon, coppa, things like that. What I decided on (only because my duck breast were too small) was to do my take on a Bacon Wrapped Filet.. I love bacon and I love Filet Mignon and together cooked to a crispy outside and a perfect medium rare in the middle is hard to beat. So why not cure and age it to make a salumi that has the unique presentation of having bacon wrapped around the filet as one whole piece. I really liked Matt Wright's recipe adapted from Rhulmen's Charcuterie book so instead of using Eye of Round I used Filet Mignon and I wanted to accent the beef with some artisan sweet/spicy bacon. For this I just used my imagination. Looking back on it now I think that I would have like to have cold smoked it before rolling it up to add that touch of Applewood or pecan.

Either way what I did was cure each cut separately for a few weeks. Washed and dried the cuts and sprinkled about 1% of Activa RM (by weight of the meat) all over the pieces. Working quickly I began to tightly roll the belly over the filet and secured it with butchers twine. Very tightly!! I then wrapped in plastic wrap very tightly and finally vacuumed sealed it to get all remaining air out. I left that in the fridge for 48 hours. After 2 days I removed the wraps and coated with cracked pepper and wrapped it in a clear fibrous coppa casing that I got from TSM. As you can see it was slightly too big so I had to fold it on to itself. There's probably a better way to do it but I'm too new at this and haven't figured it out yet. Once stuffed I tied tightly and applied Bac 600 liberally to the outside. Then It was hung in a 55F 83% chamber.

You can see the difference between the piece before it was glued and after it was glued. It really bound itself together. I think that the end result will have a real presence on a charcuterie platter..

Any Thoughts?

Cajuneric

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 02, 2018 15:53

Interesting! I commend you on your ingenuity.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Mar 02, 2018 15:54

Wow fantastic job and unique idea! If they are available to you a beef bung would be a good casing. The use of transglutaminase and vac sealing to minimise air pockets is brilliant. I think smoking would still be a good idea. my guess is that it will take some time to dry with the thick "fat cap" similar to a Culatello.

This should give you some ideas. http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 02, 2018 16:04

Looks great! I can't wait to see the results! And to echo Bob, you can still cold smoke it. Just don't take the temp over 68F.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 16:06

Would you suggest cold smoking now or after it dries?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Mar 02, 2018 16:22

Definitely now, as the flavor will have time to permeate during the drying. It will also retard the mold growth which is probably a good thing as mold growth can also slow drying time. Don't worry with all the product growing health mold in your chamber, it will grow back at a slower pace so no need to reapply mold 600.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 16:49

Nice. Very good info. I will slap that in the smoker right quick
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 17:29

OK. So I tossed this in my Smoking It chamber #3 (which also doubles as a great fermentation chamber for Salami) and cranked up the cold smoker (Smoke Daddy) with some pecan and Applewood. I think 6 hours should do it right? It's at 61F currently

redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 02, 2018 18:03

You might want to give it another round of smoke tomorrow.

How are you managing to keep the smoker temp at only 61 in Panama? I see that that your outside temp right now is 88F.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 18:30

I have to smoke in the shade. We are in the cooler region of Panama called Boquete. Higher altitude in the mountains. Still in the low 70's
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Sun Apr 08, 2018 20:51

So after checking my chamber this morning I was able to nick a piece off the end of this new project. I think I will continue to let it dry for another month but the flavor and presentation is awesome!! The pancetta is smoky and creamy while the filet (bresaola) is herby and melt in your mount tender. I couldn't resist but I believe that I'll be making a few more of this one. I can see a new addition to the charcuterie world. The TG really did a good job over all I think!!

The piece I cut from was the very outside edge. The bacon was thinner on this piece. About an inch into the piece the bacon fully wraps the filet and it's encased directly in the center. In a month I'll get another picture.

Eric
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 23:25

Nice job all around Cajun, the slice looks great and yes the pieces really did bond well. Can wait to see and hear about the end result, I have no doubt it will be fantastic.
Was wonder, do you think that the collagen sheets would work as a casing?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Apr 09, 2018 19:50

Well Eric you are the pioneer of transglutaminase and dry curing! That looks tasty!!!
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Mon Apr 09, 2018 19:59

I think that collagen sheets would work great. I ended up using a clear fibrous casing that didn't bond too well with the meat so I took it off mid way and allowed it to dry without a casing. The issue is the size. The belly and the fillet are generally going to start off kind of thick... The sheets will let you cut to fit which would be perfect!!

I am ordering some sheets as wek speak!!! Thanks for the great idea. The product so far not only looks great but tastes amazing.

In 3 weeks it should be completely done. I'll post a new picture then...

Eric
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Mon Apr 09, 2018 20:32

Thanks Bob,

I am well pleased with the results so far. I have a few other radical ideas that will need the assistance or TransGlutaminase.... I can't wait to share them...