Polish Sausage-Cold Smoked

Herb

Polish Sausage-Cold Smoked

Post by Herb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 18:17

I made this sausage from info on the home site. It called for cure #2 and cold smoked. It said to dry until yield is 87%.

This recipe is on the Fermented and Dry section of recipes. Is this safe to eat at 87% or should it be cooked before eating? I dried this sausage for 7 days after smoking . It is dry to 82% and it seems very soft but smells and looks great. I see other recipes that use cure #1 for this type of sausage if cooked but this one called for cure #2. What to do, what to do...
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Mar 07, 2018 18:34

Welcome to the Forum Herb!

In the future if you are going to consume it within 30 days switch to cure #1. Here is a quote from a string on the forum I will give you a link to for more info.
redzed wrote: An authentic Polska Kielbasa Wedzona is prepared, cold smoked, and dried for a couple of days. Most people consume it shortly after that, and it is eaten poached or grilled. But it can also be hung in a cool and humid place and dried. In Poland it was a way to preserve the sausage over the cold months from pork slaughtered in the fall. If you want to make it in the traditional way, then follow the recipe as outlined by Marianski.
http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... +w%EAdzona
Herb

Post by Herb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 21:24

Thank you. I'll try this one again with cure #1 and less salt.
Butterbean

Re: Polish Sausage-Cold Smoked

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 07, 2018 23:41

Herb wrote:I made this sausage from info on the home site. It called for cure #2 and cold smoked. It said to dry until yield is 87%.
I made some a year or so ago and I ate some of it was 87% or so and had no problems. The aroma was just too enticing to pass up so I had to try it. I kept sampling it along and along as it dried further then I cyrovacked when I didn't want them to dry any more. I found it interesting how the flavors evolved as they dried further.

BB's Original Thread. http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... ed&start=0
Last edited by Butterbean on Thu Mar 08, 2018 18:20, edited 1 time in total.