Back Fat

Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Back Fat

Post by Kijek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 18:08

So, I was thinking on going down to Arthur Ave, to see the guys at that sausage shop, but sorry changed my mind and did some shopping at Restaurant Depot instead, sorry.

Anyway, looking for Back Fat for sausage, and they had Back Fat in 4 to 5Lbs slabs, only thing is it said, "Salted" Back fat.

Is that what I need to used, or is there an unsalted back fat?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 27, 2018 20:26

The salted variety is also called lardo. fatback. salt pork, ect. For making sausage you need unsalted back fat. You may have to try some ethnic markets.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 23:32

Thanks BobK I had a feeling that was the case, and thanks for the tip on ethnic stores.

I did pickup a 4lb slab of the salted since I was down there, it has the skin on.
I will use it for just a couple of recipes I has, nothing to do with Sausage or the alike, but if anyone one has something different and tasty for me to try, I'd love to try it.

Thanks again
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 00:02

My local abattoir butchers pigs on a Thursday. As long as I put my order in ahead of time I can pick it up on Friday morning. All nicely bagged and ready to go. Very cheap to buy and I get 5 or 6 pounds at a time. Skin on but real easy to skin out. Always about 2-3 inches thick.

airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:29

Unless you want a 50# box, unsalted fatback is hard to come by around here. I rinse the salted fat and slightly adjust the salt. Sometime I just use the belly meat.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:29

Question I have is, how much does the salt really penetrate into the fat. IMHO- I wouldn't think much would get in and would just wash off the surface. Never used it, so any help would be much appreciated..
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 18:36

airbrush wrote:Unless you want a 50# box, unsalted fatback is hard to come by around here. I rinse the salted fat and slightly adjust the salt. Sometime I just use the belly meat.
50# box. Sounds about right :mrgreen: Put it in the freezer, its not going to go bad. That should do you for a life time of sausage making. One less thing to worry about picking up.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Wed Mar 28, 2018 19:38

nuynai wrote:Question I have is, how much does the salt really penetrate into the fat. IMHO- I wouldn't think much would get in and would just wash off the surface. .
I was wondering the same, I'm still going to venture out and check ethnic store, but if I strike out, I'd have to check with the pig farms up this way, which is an hour drive and would have to be worth the drive.

Anyway, I'll keep looking around, oh and I still have to make it down to Arthur Ave, maybe a call down first and ask about the back fat.