Back from 4 years ! New salami making questions

Philip86

Back from 4 years ! New salami making questions

Post by Philip86 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 23:18

Hey guys my names phil I`m in Florida I was on this site years ago and lost my username so wouldn`t let me reset password so made another one. I opened a salami business with no knowledge of curing meats. That guy ! Well I`m here again 4 years later and still mad I haven`t conquered my ultimate goal. I followed all the books before this site and came into this site mid cure realizing I did it all wrong. So here I am my 2nd attempt. I have built a new chamber with all the right air settings and humidity. I have a nice locker humidity is on a humidistat with a humidifier and de humidifier also air circulation and fridge temp of 55. The last time was my molds and getting very acidic flavors no meat funk. I used bacteoferm 52 and mood 600 but it never went right. So this time I want to do it right. I`ll be following a recipe from Rihanna again 32 mm casings and using bactoferm frm 52. And 600. I want to do a simple fennel salami.
"3.5 pounds/1590 grams lean pork shoulder butt, cut into large dice"

"1.5 pounds/680 grams pork back fat, cut into large dice
      2 ounces/56 grams sea salt
      1 teaspoon/7 grams DQ Curing Salt #2
      1 tablespoon/6 grams coarsely ground black pepper
      1 tablespoon/10 grams dextrose
      2 tablespoons/12 grams fennel seeds, toasted and cracked
      4 garlic cloves, minced
      1/2 cup/125 milliliters chilled dry red wine, such as Chianti
      1 tablespoon/10 grams Bactoferm (live starter culture; see Sources, page 267)
      2 tablespoons/30 milliliters distilled water
      Mold 600 (see page 70 for more information and page 267 for sources) (optional)
      Two 18-inch/45-centimeter lengths beef middle, soaked in tepid water for at least 20 minutes and rinsed"

"1. Partially freeze the meat and fat.
2. Grind the pork through a 1/2-inch/12-millimeter (extra-large) die into the bowl of a stand mixer. Grind the fat into the bowl. Add the salt, curing salt, pepper, dextrose, fennel seeds, and garlic and, using the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed, adding the wine as you do so, until the ingredients are well distributed and the meat
is tacky.
3. Dissolve the Bactoferm in the distilled water, add it to the meat, and mix until well dis"

"distributed, another minute or so.
4. Tie one end of each casing using a bubble knot (see page 122). Stuff the sausage into the casings, and tie each one off using another bubble knot. Using a clean needle, sausage pricker, or knife tip, poke holes all over the sausage, especially where there may be air pockets. If you`re using weight to determine doneness, weigh the sausages and record the results.
5. Allow the sausages to incubate for 12 hours in a warm place (ideally 80 degrees F./
27 degrees C. and 80% humidity).
6. Hang the sausages in the drying chamber. If using the mold culture, mist them according to the package instructions. The salami are ready when they have lost about 30 percent of their raw weight, about 3 weeks."

Excerpt From
Salumi: The Craft of Italian Dry Curing
Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/salumi ... 2149?mt=11
This material may be protected by copyright.
airbrush
User
User

Re: Back from 4 years ! New salami making questions

Post by airbrush » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:11

Philip86 wrote:I opened a salami business with no knowledge of curing meats. .
That's a pretty bold move!!!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jun 19, 2018 23:04

Is this your original user name and thread?

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... ght=philip
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jun 20, 2018 17:49

Hi Phil and welcome back. I thought that we had answered all your questions and made appropriate suggestions as to how to make a more traditional salami, with better flavour and without any sour flavour. I am not going to repeat myself, since I already spent time and effort in trying to convey to you that adding that much sugar and fermenting at a high temperature with FRM 52 is not the way.

I suggest that you go over the Bactoferm Meat Manual No. 1 and No. 2, and Marianski's Art of Fermented Sausages, and familiarize yourself with the different bacteria that acidifies meat and the bacteria that promotes enzymatic activity.
Philip86

Post by Philip86 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 05:19

Yes that was my old user name. Thanks for finding it @bob and redk, no need to get a little sassy if I would`ve known my old username I would`ve been glad to look back at the notes my friend ! I apologize for asking a question red
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Tue Jun 26, 2018 08:32

I am not going to repeat myself, since I already spent time
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Back Phil