Starting ph of 6.2 has me worried

Saltedtyme30
User
User

Starting ph of 6.2 has me worried

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 03:36

Just finished my batch and packed it up. Checked ph before chamber. 6.22 and 6.19 on the other meter. Here`s the recipe bob sent the link sausages and meats. Meats Metric US
Pork, lean 700 g 1.54 lb
Back fat 300 g 0.66 lb
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat

Salt 28 g 5 tsp
Cure #2 2.5 g 1/2 tsp
Pepper 4.0 g 2 tsp
Nutmeg 1.0 g 1/2 tsp
Dextrose 3.0 g 1/2 tsp
Sugar 2.0 g 1/2 tsp
T-SPX culture 0.12 g use scale
6.2 now in chamber
Philip Anthony
carlv123

Post by carlv123 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 04:35

I think your ok. It may need a bit of extra time (6 to 12 hours) but you should be able to get the drop. When I ferment I like to open the chamber 2 times a day to change the air. You'll know by the smell and the color if it's right.
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 05:22

carlv123 wrote:I think your ok. It may need a bit of extra time (6 to 12 hours) but you should be able to get the drop. When I ferment I like to open the chamber 2 times a day to change the air. You'll know by the smell and the color if it's right.
Thanks I did a small batch. But the meat was 6.2 I heard it could have been frozen and that can cause high ph. I will check tomm again and see where I`m at. I have up to 70 hrs with tspx
Philip Anthony
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 01, 2018 14:53

A reading of 6.2 is a matter of concern. High pH meat has high water retaining properties and is susceptible to bacterial spoilage. It makes a good cooked sausage since it retains more water and the product is therefore juicier. But not recommended for fresh and dry cured sausages.

But are you sure your readings are correct? Frankly, I would not trust readings using an elecrode designed to test liquids, but rather a properly calibrated meter that is function specific, that is with an electrode made for testing meat.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jul 01, 2018 17:00

redzed wrote:Frankly, I would not trust readings using an elecrode designed to test liquids, but rather a properly calibrated meter that is function specific, that is with an electrode made for testing meat.
Well when I purchased a meat probe I was able to test a mince with the probe vs a bulb with a slurry from the same batch. Same meter used for both. Consistently within .01...so I would have to disagree. However not making a slurry and just testing the meat block is a definite plus. :mrgreen:
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 17:30

redzed wrote:A reading of 6.2 is a matter of concern. High pH meat has high water retaining properties and is susceptible to bacterial spoilage. It makes a good cooked sausage since it retains more water and the product is therefore juicier. But not recommended for fresh and dry cured sausages.

But are you sure your readings are correct? Frankly, I would not trust readings using an elecrode designed to test liquids, but rather a properly calibrated meter that is function specific, that is with an electrode made for testing meat.

I ordered the probe but not here yet. A lot of people like the Milwaukee 102 but I don`t like a bulb. They sent me two on accident from amazon and calibration isn`t the best but i used 3 and all said same. I heard previously frozen meat can have a higher ph or vacuum sealed. I didn`t get my meat from the butcher plant sunshine provisions in Florida they open tomorrow but I wanted t do a small batch and see if my temps held and everything was good 1000 grams of meat is two 8 inch links and another 150 stuck in the hopper lol but this is the reason why I did a small batch is this was 20 kg I would have drove my truck into the nearest lake
Philip Anthony
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 01, 2018 17:42

Bob K wrote:
redzed wrote:Frankly, I would not trust readings using an elecrode designed to test liquids, but rather a properly calibrated meter that is function specific, that is with an electrode made for testing meat.
Well when I purchased a meat probe I was able to test a mince with the probe vs a bulb with a slurry from the same batch. Same meter used for both. Consistently within .01...so I would have to disagree. However not making a slurry and just testing the meat block is a definite plus. :mrgreen:
Using an electrode designed for liquids to test meat is like using down hill skis for cross country skiing. :lol:
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 17:53

redzed wrote:
Bob K wrote:
Using an electrode designed for liquids to test meat is like using down hill skis for cross country skiing. :lol:
Lolol
Philip Anthony
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jul 01, 2018 18:22

Just FYI the amount .12 gram per kilo in those recipes is the amount of T-SPX the whole envelope is capable of fermenting, not a practical amount for home sized batches. to assure a viable amount of culture. .022% is a more reliable amount to add.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jul 01, 2018 18:44

carlv123 wrote:I think your ok. It may need a bit of extra time (6 to 12 hours) but you should be able to get the drop. When I ferment I like to open the chamber 2 times a day to change the air. You'll know by the smell and the color if it's right.
I'm inclined to think it won't take more time since he used 12 grams of starter rather than the 0.12 grams. Not disagreeing with you just voicing my thought since I've been busy wine making lately and ended up pitching two packs of yeast in one vessel and one in another containing "supposedly" the same must and the one with the double dose has had a significantly higher specific gravity drop than the other.

Don't know if it is supposed to happen or not (I have been known to screw up) but if it is it would make sense that adding more starter to meat would have a quicker effect on the pH drop. Any thoughts on this?
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 19:09

Bob K wrote:Just FYI the amount .12 gram per kilo in those recipes is the amount of T-SPX the whole envelope is capable of fermenting, not a practical amount for home sized batches. to assure a viable amount of culture. .022% is a more reliable amount to add.
How do you even get that on a scale ? .022? I have a gram scale and a big one
Philip Anthony
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 19:11

Butterbean wrote:
I'm inclined to think it won't take more time since he used 12 grams of starter rather than the 0.12 grams. Not disagreeing with you just voicing my thought since I've been busy wine making lately and ended up pitching two packs of yeast in one vessel and one in another containing "supposedly" the same must and the one with the double dose has had a significantly higher specific gravity drop than the other.

Don't know if it is supposed to happen or not (I have been known to screw up) but if it is it would make sense that adding more starter to meat would have a quicker effect on the pH drop. Any thoughts on this?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jul 01, 2018 19:58

Saltedtyme30 wrote: Bob K wrote:
Just FYI the amount .12 gram per kilo in those recipes is the amount of T-SPX the whole envelope is capable of fermenting, not a practical amount for home sized batches. to assure a viable amount of culture. .022% is a more reliable amount to add.

That's % (percent) not weight
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 21:25

Bob K wrote:
Saltedtyme30 wrote: Bob K wrote:

That's % (percent) not weight

16 hrs in. Ph is 5.41. Seems it dropped quick !