Name this mold!!

65valiantwin
Beginner
Beginner

Name this mold!!

Post by 65valiantwin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 03:03

Hey guys, leaning on your expertise here...can someone advise whether or not this mold is good or bad, salami's been hanging since Dec. 9 @ 39F, approx. 85% humidity. I know the humidity is high, but i'm having trouble keeping dehumidifier from icing up with the room that cold.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B17DR ... MxUjI2WUdn

Thanks in advance for your help
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 04:36

That`s most likely humidity. I had some of the furry stuff. As soon as I got my humidity to 70-75%, the chalky white starts growing
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 04:38

A lot of these dehumidifiers dont like that cold temp. Is there a reason you`re running the temp so low?
65valiantwin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by 65valiantwin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 04:43

Thanks for the reply Lou! I've got a walk in cooler in my barn that's always kept at this temp. that being said, this time of year the humidity isn't normally an issue, i'm near detroit, it has been warmer/more humid than normal outside which has complicated things a bit.

Should I wipe this fluffy stuff off?
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 04:58

Dab it off with vinegar, but if the humidity stays the same, it may most likely return. This year, I ran my chamber a little wetter and cooler than normal and produced some green, which I`ve never had before. I dabbed it off with vinegar and reduced the humidity. The green returned, but not anywhere near as many areas as it was. As the humidity leveled off, the white dusting came thru and really started controlling the chamber again. I was at the Calabria Pork Shop in the Bronx where they hang them right in the store. I saw colors I never seen before LOL,, and they sell to the public. I`m not saying every mold is good, but if you google prosciutto photos and see some of those colors, it makes you less paranoid. Some professionals that sell their products kills for other colors than white. Slimy I don`t think is a good thing. I personally would be concerned with black also, but that`s just me.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 17:18

Unless the mould is examined under a microscope by a trained individual, no one can tell you with certainty what the genus or strain of the mould in the picture is. Often it is not one single strain but a combination of several moulds, some that are desirable on salami and some that that are not, and some that may actually be toxic. The temperature in which you are drying your salami is considerably lower than the 10-15C range under which dry cured sausages are matured, and strains that are desirable such as P. nalgiovense, P. gladioli, and P. chrysogenum grow best in temps of 10-20C. But some will grow at much lower temps, especially if the humidity is high.
65valiantwin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by 65valiantwin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 17:38

Thanks guys, i truly appreciate your feedback. I was able to correct the humidity issue and mold has mostly gone away, much appreciated again!