Help with Cure - did I muck this up?

adrian078
Beginner
Beginner

Help with Cure - did I muck this up?

Post by adrian078 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 03:48

I've just put a coppa in the fridge for curing. I followed the recipe for the cure mix ALMOST to the letter. Except the bit I didn't read correctly. Which was to put half the cure on, seal in bag and then apply the second half after 5 days or so. I put all the cure mix in by mistake.

Does it matter? Should I make any changes? And while you're answering, why do recipes say to do 2 applications of cure mix?
Bob K

Re: Help with Cure - did I muck this up?

Post by Bob K » Wed Nov 13, 2019 14:35

If you are using the Marianski recipe you should be fine just massage or re-rub the mix every few days. Not sure of the reasoning to split in two applications.
adrian078
Beginner
Beginner

Post by adrian078 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:10

Yes straight from Home Production of Quality Meats. I kind of doubt it will make a big difference but what do I know.

I've seen this in other recipes and books too. I think I saw the River Cottage guy do this too with bacon? if I remember correctly.

For reference, cure recipe is:

1000g... 2.2lb Coppa

30g... 2 3/4 tsp salt
6g... 1 tsp cure #2
25g.... 2 tbs sugar

I scaled to suit my meat weight.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:26

Your coppa will be fine, but if you used the amount of salt on the online version of Marianski's recipe it probably will be a bit too salty. If you are curing using the equilibrium method, there is no need to add the salt and cure in two sessions. That is especially true when you are preparing small pieces such as a coppa. Marianski's instructions originate from the traditional practice of "determinate" salting of Italian hams. Parma hams for example, are salted twice with measured amounts of salt. The other method (and more widely practiced) is to cover the ham with salt and remove it after a specific number of days based on the weight, ofter referred to as the "box method" Most hobbyists today use the equilibrium method which is not traditional, but through its simplicity and convenience allows us to make traditional-like cured products.

And with all due respect to Mr. Marianski, a "coppa" is not made from a whole pork butt, but rather from the top part of the shoulder, known in the English speaking world as the "collar" and "coppa" in Italian.
adrian078
Beginner
Beginner

Post by adrian078 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:43

redzed wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:26
if you used the amount of salt on the online version of Marianski's recipe it probably will be a bit too salty.
Just compared recipes. The online version uses 39g of salt p/kg + the cure and the book version uses 30g p/kg + the cure. I followed the book - so almost 25% less salt. Hopefully it will be right for my tastes.

redzed wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:26
And with all due respect to Mr. Marianski, a "coppa" is not made from a whole pork butt, but rather from the top part of the shoulder, known in the English speaking as the "collar" and "coppa" in Italia
I didn't follow that part because I thought the same thing. I bought a whole shoulder and cut out the coppa (i hope...). And made sausages, salami, rillettes, pork broth and other yummies with the rest. Amazing that I only had the tiniest amount of waste.

Is there a reliable resource I can read more about the equilibrium method?