Casing or No Casing - Cappacola

Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Casing or No Casing - Cappacola

Post by Kijek » Fri Nov 15, 2019 15:55

Well I ordered the wrong casings for my cappacola and I need to get them into the chamber, do I really need to put them in a casing?
redzed

Re: Casing or No Casing - Cappacola

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 17, 2019 05:48

Hello Kijek,

Casing the coppa is not an absolute necessity, but certainly recommended. The best casing is a natural one, like a beef bung, or even a pig bladder. The next best would be pasted hog sheets or collagen sheets. I prefer the former because the y are softer, more flexible and easier to work with.Pasted hog sheets are made from pieces of natural hog casings that are cut open and bonded together during the drying process. Because they are a natural product, It usually results in a stronger mould growth which aids in reducing dry rim. The casing slows down the water evaporation during the drying stage and in battling dry rim. However, if your drying/curing parameters are spot on, you still should end up with a good product.

Which casing did you order, and why is it unsuitable? Can you not wait until you get the appropriate casing? Are you using the equilibrium method of curing?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 14:00

Completely on with Redzed. Mold will grow on casings and roots treats won't grow in meat (if you using casing). Without casing mold will grow directly on meat and roots will grow into outer part of meat. Additionally - mold will grow on lean part but not on fat so you will have not so nice appearance. If you will decide to dry your coppa without casing , you should take care about mold, not letting grow on surface. IMO.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Mon Nov 18, 2019 15:20

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help, I purchased beef bung, however, I purchased the wrong size, and my meat was cured and needed to get into the fermentation chamber.
I did wrap it with collagen sheets, and that could be why I am having trouble getting the bac 600 to grow, hopefully it will start soon, been two days and no growth.
reddal
User
User

Post by reddal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 15:53

Hi,

Mold-600 often takes a few days to start growing. I've never used collagen, but it seems to grow on most things if the temperature and humidity are right.

I agree with others that beef bung works best for coppa casing. Its quite stretchy, so size isn't critical, but I like to tie it on the outside with lots of string as tight as I can get it to keep everything in place. You don't want to leave any air gaps between the meat and the casing which would allow mold to grow on the inside. I also prick the outside all over to help it dry, and let any air pockets out.

- reddal
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Nov 18, 2019 17:54

Kijek wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 15:20
I did wrap it with collagen sheets, and that could be why I am having trouble getting the bac 600 to grow,
usually with collagen sheets - i use three/four layers of it. Also just before using them i soak them in tap water.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Mon Nov 18, 2019 19:02

Thanks everyone, your advice helps for sure.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Mon Dec 30, 2019 21:48

Ok my capicola is ready to eat and tastes great, Im very happy.
But like I stated earlier I wrapped it once in a collagen sheet, and perhaps I should have wrapped it in 3 or 4 layers like Stefans posted.
I ended up having good white mold growth, however, some of it went through the collagen sheet and on to the meat and will not wash off even with light brushing.

Is it harmful to eat or should I trim it off as I use and slice the meat?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Dec 30, 2019 23:28

It is not harmful - but not appearing for some people. Brush it out with wet brush and let it dry for a few minutes
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:50

Thanks Stefans