All Beef American Pepperoni

so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

All Beef American Pepperoni

Post by so_not_rad » Mon Mar 30, 2020 06:27

Hello there everyone!
I have been asked by a dear friend of mine who does not eat pork, to make all beef american pepperoni. The semi cooked fast fermented style for a pizza. Here's the recipe that I've been testing so far :

Beef (chuck) 500 Gr
Salt 14 Gr
Cure #2 1.25 Gr
Dextrose 5 Gr
Garlic Powder 1 Gr
Sugar 5 Gr
Black Pepper 1.5 Gr
Paprika 4 Gr
Fennel Seeds 1.5 Gr
Cayenne 1 Gr
LHP 0.1 Gr
Ice Water 50 Gr

I've followed the regular recipe from Marianski's book. The 24HR fermentation process at 85-90% humidity, 38C.
Then I transfer them to a smoker where I let them dry for an hour at around 50C and then gradually build up the heat until IMT is 63C. Usually takes about 3-4 hours. (I don't like the 7 hr smoker chamber at 40C with 70% because it becomes too sour) I live in a tropical country so all the fermentation has completely changed here for me. I've had to reduce the timing or fermentation.

So when i smoke is where my problems come out. I make all pork pepperoni with the same recipe and it always comes out really nice. But the from the all beef pepperoni the fat always splits, and comes around the edges, separating the casing from the meat.
I will take some photos when i get home.

Do you guys have any advice for me? Why is it happening with only beef and not pork?
I've tried to increase the water to help it bind, but it always comes out the same after smoking, very separated and grainy.
Bob K

Re: All Beef American Pepperoni

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:17

I would try poaching instead of dry heat. It is much faster and less time spent in the temps that fat melts. Also use cure #1 for fast fermented products. So far as the sourness issue you are having, I would cut the dextrose amount in half.
so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Post by so_not_rad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 08:39

Bob K wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:17
I would try poaching instead of dry heat. It is much faster and less time spent in the temps that fat melts. Also use cure #1 for fast fermented products. So far as the sourness issue you are having, I would cut the dextrose amount in half.
Thanks Bob! i'm actually quite happy with the sourness that I got now! I thought about poaching before also, but my biggest concern at the moment is that i do not want to use liquid smoke. Maybe I could smoke intense for an hour or two and then poach.
Thats a great idea! I will switch the curing salt also. Thanks for your advice!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43

Italian Pepperoni is traditionally not a smoked sausage.....and try adding Anise - it will send the taste over the top!
so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Post by so_not_rad » Wed Apr 01, 2020 03:26

Bob K wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43
Italian Pepperoni is traditionally not a smoked sausage.....and try adding Anise - it will send the taste over the top!
Yes i'm aware! But all the American companies that make pepperoni like Ezzos (my favorite) , use liquid smoke in their recipes.
I've tried making pepperoni with and without the smoking and I must admit it tastes a lot better if its lightly smoky.
Thanks for the Anise tip! Will definitely try adding it!

I also have another question, since we're on this subject, has anyone ever used Oleoresin of Paprika? I'm just curious as how much should i be adding to my sausages? Is there a % that's commonly used?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Apr 01, 2020 16:31

so_not_rad wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 03:26
But all the American companies that make pepperoni like Ezzos (my favorite) , use liquid smoke in their recipes.
I would have to disagree on the smoke flavor as I have never run across it in store bought Pepperoni! :shock: What part of the country are you from? I do not doubt that it tastes awesome.
so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Post by so_not_rad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 03:51

Bob K wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 16:31
so_not_rad wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 03:26
But all the American companies that make pepperoni like Ezzos (my favorite) , use liquid smoke in their recipes.
I would have to disagree on the smoke flavor as I have never run across it in store bought Pepperoni! :shock: What part of the country are you from? I do not doubt that it tastes awesome.
I currently live in Bangkok ! But I used to live in new york city, and always my favorite company for pepperoni was ezzos, i managed to find a nutrition label! I've always thought that classic american pep is not smoked either but since I have to use the smoke house to cook it until 63C I figured i might as well add some natural smoke and man does it change the flavor! It is my favorite thing these days.

90630972_1125195211158246_2305586904608800768_n.jpg
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Apr 02, 2020 14:31

Good Time not to be in NYC or out on the Island.