Lomo Embuchado in the cure

rgreenberg2000
User
User

Lomo Embuchado in the cure

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 22:48

Now that I have my Coppa going, and I feel like my curing chamber is pretty dialed in, I wanted to get a Lomo Embuchado going as well. I have a local butcher who breaks down whole Kurobota pigs, so I asked him to trim out a loin for me with about 1/2" of fat still on it. Picked that up at lunch today, and it's a beauty!

I got my cure together as follows (pretty much Chuckwagon's Aces & Eights recipe, which looks very similar to Marianski's):

Salt, 2.65%
Cure #2, .47%
Sugar, 1.3%
Paprika, .14%
Black Pepper, .14%
Garlic Powder, .03%
Onion Powder, .03%
Thyme, .03%

Looks good....I'm going to let it go for a couple of weeks. Updates to come along the way.....

Bob K

Re: Lomo Embuchado in the cure

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 05, 2020 14:50

Since you are curing vac sealed in a bag (equilibrium cure) you can cut back the cure amount to .25% (156 PPM)
While the amount you used is well within guidelines for a long drying period it is simply not needed.

Most of the recipes like Marianskis are for rubs where a certain amount is lost during the curing process

Looks great!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:22

That's a beautiful piece of loin! Puts my recent purchase of cryovac commodity pork to shame! :D Make sure you keep good notes so that you can adjust the salt and seasonings in the next round. When you have the luxury of a quality cut of pork sometimes less is better.
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:42

Bob K wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 14:50
Since you are curing vac sealed in a bag (equilibrium cure) you can cut back the cure amount to .25% (156 PPM)
While the amount you used is well within guidelines for a long drying period it is simply not needed.

Most of the recipes like Marianskis are for rubs where a certain amount is lost during the curing process

Looks great!
Thanks for that tip, Bob! Not something I had thought of at all. I did lose a little bit during some vigorous massaging (since I'm a bit of a klutz), but not much. I will keep that in mind the next time around for sure!

R
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:44

redzed wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:22
That's a beautiful piece of loin! Put's the my recent purchase of cryovac commodity pork to shame! :D Make sure you keep good notes so that you can adjust the salt and seasonings in the next round. When you have the luxury of a quality cut of pork sometimes less is better.
Thanks, Red, at about dinner time yesterday, I was wishing that piece of loin had been smoke roasted on my grill! :) I suspect that 99% of my projects will use commodity pork, as the good stuff ain't cheap. I wanted to give it a try, though. :) Hopefully, the pork will shine through the seasonings ok......

R
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 06, 2020 01:09

Little off topic, but last Sunday I preoared a mushroom and apple stuffed loin. I brined the loin for three days with garlic and rosemary, butterflied it, spread the stuffing into it, tied it then netted it and put it into sous vide for 4 hours. Commodity pork, but it was superb, moist and flavourful. Lots of work, but worth it!
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Lomo out of the cure, into the cabinet

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 20:03

A quick update.... I got the Lomo out of the cure today, scraped off the excess salt and spices, then trussed it up to hang in the curing chamber. When I did the coppa, I used a beef bung, and that was a bit of a squirrely experience (not to mention "fragrant"), so this time I used a collagen sheet to see how that works. It's a bit like wrapping a Christmas present, so good practice for the season. Anyway, she's hanging up in the curing chamber, and I didn't inoculate with mold this time, as there should be enough present from the coppa to get mold going on this one. I'll post some updates along the way.......

Out of the cure:

Trussed and ready to hang:

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sat Dec 19, 2020 21:46

Beautiful cut of meat!
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 23:36

Hey, all. This project is still ongoing (15% loss after 5 weeks), but I had a question..... Since this has a decent fat cap, is my target weight loss still 35-40%, or does that change with more fat?

I expected the weight loss to be slower due to the fat, so not concerned that it'll get there eventually. :)

Thanks!

R