Hungarian Salami

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Hungarian Salami

Post by Albertaed » Sun Dec 27, 2020 17:28

Happy Holidays to everyone!
My next attempt is Hungarian Salami which I have never ate. I only have quality hot Hungarian Paprika. How hot, given the recipe below, do you think this will be. I do have generic paprika if that is a more authentic flavouring. On a side note I don’t have Tokay wine but I still have some Madeira. 🤷

https://imgur.com/a/0gequVW
redzed

Re: Hungarian Salami

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:35

Hungarian paprika is best but unless you really like spicy foods, I would not use only the hot paprika in that recipe. Try expeimenting with a 50/50 ratio of sweet paprika and hot paprika. With the generic paprika you don't know exactly what you are getting, and the quality is unknown. But if you have used it in cooking and re happy with it, then you're probably OK. I think the salt is a bit high in your formulation. I would suggest you go for 2.25% salt (sea salt pref.) and .25 #2. And is that only 1.2ml/kg of wine in there?
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:54

I thought the salt might be a little high. I thought maybe it was part of the flavor profile? Hopefully my order of spices come in soon so I can use the sweet Hungarian Paprika I’ve ordered. You brought up something else I’ve been meaning to ask and that is how significant a difference is there between fine sea salt to kosher salt if the same percentages are used. If I go by the recipe it would be 15ml/kg of wine. I’ll edit my spreadsheet thanks.👍
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 27, 2020 20:40

I'm in the same boat with the one I'm making. Calls for 20g of sweet paprika/kg. My butcher friend from Germany is bringing me some as I only have regular paprika and smoked paprika. Ithink I'm going to try 15g of sweet, and 5g of smoked/kg.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Thu Dec 31, 2020 23:41

Okay I’m ready for cold smoking. I have the temp at +/- 66F. I’m thinking a thin smoke one hour on one hour off for 4 days (nothing at night). Does this sound reasonable. I have no way to control the humidity (it’s dry here) but I don’t think case hardening will be a factor because it’ll go into the dry chamber 56F 80%RH until 35% ish weight loss.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 01, 2021 19:51

Smoke for 8-10 hours per day and rest overnight. Keep temp under 20. The meat does not take in smoke as fast as when you hot smoke. That's why we always smoke for a longer periods when doing this. One hr. on and one hr off will take you an eternity.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Wed Jan 06, 2021 18:30

In Italy-they use only sea salt. It is consistent and has all the minerals in the right percentages to grow life. Mined salt from the ground -minerals different mine to mine and concentrations unknown or not listed on package. Some minerals in high enough concentration can affect microbial growth...thus results may be inconsistent. Thus the use of natural sea salt...
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Wed Jan 06, 2021 23:29

I’ll have to look into brands of sea salts
jens49
User
User

Post by jens49 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 09:28

Sometimes I think sea salt is too highly rated.
I have tried two different well known Italian brands because I wanted my cold smoked salmon to be top notch. Both had too many impurities in them and one of them was so wet that the weight had to be adjusted when I EQ salted meat.
Expensive lesson for me as I bought 10 kilo of each. But at least we have no snow on our steps.
2 % of Hungarian paprika 50/50 gives me just the bit of heat I want.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 08, 2021 06:51

I use seal salt in my dry cured products and non-iodized rock salt in everything else. Sea salt is not perfect and reflects the geographical origin and processing method. Some time ago I also posted a scientific study how a particular mould grows in sea salt. So it's not a cut and dry issue.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Fri Jan 08, 2021 17:43

Do you have a sea salt preference?