F-RM-52 Culture by Chr Hansen

Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

F-RM-52 Culture by Chr Hansen

Post by Indaswamp » Sat Jan 09, 2021 20:28

What is the general consensus on this one? Anyone use it or have experience with it? I bought some when I was getting started about a year ago, have not used it yet... Any info appreciated. CHR Hansen says it is for Northern European style dry cured salamis...which as a new person is why I bought it.

I did look through the search function and nothing came up on F-RM-52 so I started a thread...
bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Re: F-RM-52 Culture by Chr Hansen

Post by bcboy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 20:49

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jan 09, 2021 21:02

Its a fast fermenting culture. It does not ferment sugar so dextrose only unless your using sugar for flavor. I have never used it. It is used and been popularized a lot by Ruhlman & Polcyn in the book Charcuterie.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 18:56

Like it says on all the seller's descriptions, F-RM-52 contains lactobacillus and staphylococcus bacteria and is intended for medium to fast acidification. You can still control the speed of the acidification withe temperature and amount of glucose added. In Ruhlman and Polcyn's first book they essentially recommended it in all their salami recipes. Not exactly the best advice, but they also recommended that you dump in a minimum of a quarter of the packet into whatever you are making. I think it's good for making Northern European and American style salami, but with sugar and temperature adjustments, you can use it in just about any fermented and dried sausages.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Sun Jan 10, 2021 23:13

Thank you redzed...