Coating my finished Saucisson

so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Coating my finished Saucisson

Post by so_not_rad » Fri Jan 22, 2021 08:05

Hello everyone,
I've recently made quite a big batch of saucisson cause I had the extra time. Its been cured for about 4 weeks, its all nice and packed in vacuum bags and resting for whenever i have parties at home and want to show off my skills :D .
Im having an issue when i take them out of the bags, because the skin seems to be a bit wet. I've read up online a bit and apparently bigger companies use flour to coat their finished products, to give them that white look.
Any suggestions to as in what type of flour to use to help me keep my saucisson dry?
I'll attach a photo shortly to show you guys what i mean.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_0872.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Coating my finished Saucisson

Post by Indaswamp » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39

They use fine ground rice flour. But you can just pull the casing off prior to vac sealing.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 22, 2021 14:17

The only way you can avoid the mushy/slimy casings is by storing them wrapped loosely, usually in a paper wrapper. That is how the ones coated in rice flour are stored. Vac sealing with the casings on will always have the same slimy result ,even if coated in flour. It is just the once dried casing re-hydrating to its natural state.

Best way to store vac sealed is to remove the casings first, which is easier said than done on the thinner casings. They usually have a greasy surface when removing from the vac sealed bag , but that is easily wiped off with a paper towel.

At this point (already vac sealed) you may be able to just peel the casing off before slicing.
so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Post by so_not_rad » Tue Jan 26, 2021 06:45

thanks so much for the responses guys!
will try to do so.