Quote [USA] "South Pass Sopressata"
(Dry-Cured Spicy Pork Salami)

4 kg. (8.8 lbs.) Pork Butt
1 kg. (2.2 lbs.) Pork Back Fat
140 g. [3%] (7 tblspns.) Salt
12 gr. (2 level teaspoons) Prague Powder Cure #2
(Do NOT use Cure #1 in this recipe)
10 gr. ( 4 tspns.) Powdered Dextrose
15 gr. (2 tblspns.) Black Peppercorns (cracked - coarse grind)
1.8 gr. (1 tspn.) Red Pepper Flakes
1.8 gr. (1 tspn.) Ground White Pepper
113 gr. (1/2 cup) Corn Syrup Solids
5.6 gr. (2 tspns.) Garlic Powder
2.8 gr. (1 tspn.) Chili Powder
0.6 g. (1/4 tspn.) Bactoferm™ T-SPX

Still trying to figure out the quotes.
This is an old Chuckwagon Project S Sopressata recipe which I like the looks of other than the sugars. I haven’t seen this amount (if any) of cornsyrup solids used in a dry salami. Why use corn syrup solids used here?
I’m leaning away from it and using strictly dextrose?
Bob K

Re: Sopressata

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 25, 2021 14:21

Chuckwagon said he worked for Rytek at the Sausage House in Vegas in the 60's. Many of his recipes in Great Sausage Recipes used CSS....
Albertaed wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 01:37
Still trying to figure out the quotes.
Just highlight the text you want to quote and the "Quote icon will appear. Just click on it. It will appear in the box at the bottom of the screen

Oh and if you are looking for a Soppressata expert our own LOUSANTELLO... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7htTW6f ... e=youtu.be
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Feb 27, 2021 17:05

Chuckwagon knew a thing or two about sausage making, but I often wondered whether he actually made some of the products that he gave us the recipes for. That amount of corn syrup solids is way off the wall and simply does not belong in there. Depends on your source of corn syrup solids, but it contains 40-60% of dextrose. Do the math, you simply don't dump a shovel full of sugar into a fermented sausage. I think we've discussed sugar additions here multiple times. Depending on your starting pH, 2-4 grams of sugars is the appropriate amount to add to slow fermented Southern European salami. In a research paper by Ockerman, I remember reading that for slow fermented salami, adding .62g of sugar (with T-SPX a combination of dextrose and sucrose works well), will lower the pH by 0.1 pH. This will work if you have a pH meter, if you don't ,I would add 4g/kg.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sat Feb 27, 2021 20:30

Yup I went with 3 grams. I'm hoping to see a final PH around 5-5.2. Its satisfying to know that I'm able to start to trust what I've learned here. There are a ton of recipes out there in the cyberworld that simply just don't make any sense.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Sun Feb 28, 2021 00:29

redzed wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 17:05
In a research paper by Ockerman, I remember reading that for slow fermented salami, adding .62g of sugar (with T-SPX a combination of dextrose and sucrose works well), will lower the pH by 0.1 pH. This will work if you have a pH meter, if you don't ,I would add 4g/kg.
Very interesting Redzed.... 0.62g of sugar-is that sugar in a general sense of specifically sucrose? i.e. does that number work for plain ole dextrose?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 28, 2021 03:59

Hi Ed, I know that most references to "sugar" are to table sugar which is actually sucrose, AKA saccharose. But glucose (in the form of dextrose),maltose, fructose, and lactose are also "sugars". That is why I referenced them as "sugars" in the plural. When it comes to fermenting, the amount of glucose,fructose or sucrose you add will have the same result, except that glucose and fructose will get you there faster, while sucrose will take a bit longer. Maltose will be even slower and achieve a pH of 40% higher than the previous three. Lactose will be even less effective, and will ferment only a few lactic bacteria.