Frankfurts - never again

jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Frankfurts - never again

Post by jym571 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 17:41

redzed wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 16:01
The shaft on my Chinese bowl cutter seized up and it was out of commission for over a year. I finally found someone who was able to replace the bearings and it's working again. Have to make some wieners soon as it's grillin' season!
hello redzed
I have been making emulsified sausage for over a year in a food processor with no problems with the emulsion breaking. My process is to have the meat almost frozen and grind in a 3mm chuck. The fat is frozen and ground with a 3mm chuck twice. the proportion is 80/20 plus 150ml of water at 0 C. where the curing salts and spices are added, already having everything at adequate temperatures to emulsify, proceed to emulsify in the food processor once the paste is made, fill the casing and leave it dried from there it is smoked with a time of 1 hour at 60 C. After this time they are placed in hot water at 70 C. for 25 minutes. This has been my process for more than a year and as I mentioned without problems but I wanted to. better my emulsion process and I adapted some blades of a processor to use them with a drill and behold, my sausages when put in hot water at 70 C. the fat comes out of the emulsion resulting in a broken sausage could someone tell me I'm doing wrong greetings and thanks in advance
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Wed Jun 14, 2023 13:33

I have no idea what you did with your drill and how fast it was spinning the blades, so take this with a grain of salt.

Theory: if the blades spin too fast, you will create a lot more friction around the contact area of the blades and the farce. That might cause a temperature spike just where the blades meet the meat. It would last only a fraction of a second, but might just be enough to cause the emulsion to break.

Second theory: If the blades work too well (i.e. spin too fast), you could end up breaking the emulsion into much finer particles than normal, making it easier for the fat globules to separate out.

I don't know whether any of the above could actually happen. But, if you used the same process as always, and the only change was your setup with the drill, I'd look at that setup as being the problem.

Cheers,

Michi.
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 21:47

michi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 13:33
I have no idea what you did with your drill and how fast it was spinning the blades, so take this with a grain of salt.

Theory: if the blades spin too fast, you will create a lot more friction around the contact area of the blades and the farce. That might cause a temperature spike just where the blades meet the meat. It would last only a fraction of a second, but might just be enough to cause the emulsion to break.

Second theory: If the blades work too well (i.e. spin too fast), you could end up breaking the emulsion into much finer particles than normal, making it easier for the fat globules to separate out.

I don't know whether any of the above could actually happen. But, if you used the same process as always, and the only change was your setup with the drill, I'd look at that setup as being the problem.

Cheers,

Michi.
I was not on the lookout for the care of the family pet, a Labrador retriever,
According to your comment, the high speed of the drill causes the emulsion to break even if the temperature in the emulsion does not rise. The speed of the drill is 2800 RPM. As I told you, I understand that the speed of the drill is not the indicated one. to lower the RPM of the drill I would appreciate your comment

greetings jym571
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Wed Jun 21, 2023 04:41

jym571 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 21:47
Sorry, you lost me there…
According to your comment, the high speed of the drill causes the emulsion to break even if the temperature in the emulsion does not rise. The speed of the drill is 2800 RPM. As I told you, I understand that the speed of the drill is not the indicated one. to lower the RPM of the drill I would appreciate your comment
I don't know if the high speed causes the emulsion to break, that's just a theory. Even if things don't get too hot, if the blades are spinning too fast, you can get cavitation, which also might affect the emulsion.

I don't know how you could lower the speed. Maybe use a variable-speed drill?

At any rate, you mentioned that you did everything the same as previously, except for using that drill, so it seems likely that this is related. Maybe try again with the way you used to do it, which seemed to work?

Michi.
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 16:42

michi wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 04:41
jym571 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 21:47
Sorry, you lost me there…
I don't know if the high speed causes the emulsion to break, that's just a theory. Even if things don't get too hot, if the blades are spinning too fast, you can get cavitation, which also might affect the emulsion.

I don't know how you could lower the speed. Maybe use a variable-speed drill?

At any rate, you mentioned that you did everything the same as previously, except for using that drill, so it seems likely that this is related. Maybe try again with the way you used to do it, which seemed to work?

Michi.
I tell you, I ended up buying a 1000 watt NINJA food processor on promotion for something like 60 dollars and my problems were over, everything goes well, now the sausages come out excellent, receive a greeting, thank you for everything.