Ferment sausage in a bowl, not casing?

bkshafer

Ferment sausage in a bowl, not casing?

Post by bkshafer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 19:34

Is there any reason not to ferment sausage in a bowl and then stuff as opposed to stuffing then fermenting?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ferment sausage in a bowl, not casing?

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jul 06, 2013 20:14

bkshafer wrote:Is there any reason not to ferment sausage in a bowl and then stuff as opposed to stuffing then fermenting?

Fermentation is one of the steps that requires close monitoring and is usually carried seamlessly into the drying and aging phase.
But why would you want to do that?
Ross- tightwad home cook
bkshafer

Post by bkshafer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 15:04

I currently have stuff drying in my drying/fermentation chamber. I would like to make some more stuff to dry but I don't have a seperate fermentation chamber. It would be easy to control the temperature of something fermenting in a covered bowl for a couple days then stuff, instead of stuffing then having to worry about temperature and humidity.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 11, 2013 15:13

Just slow down a little. My life long motto is: "Make Haste Slowly".
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 01:39

I would like to make some more stuff to dry but I don't have a seperate fermentation chamber.
Now you know the dilemma of most every other fermented-sausage maker :lol:
Bacteria cultures were and are a boon to the commercial sausage-making industry for this very reason. This is mostly the reason America has developed its taste for overly "sour" or super "tangy" fermented meat products - it is the quickest culture and takes only a matter of hours to develop.
In northern Europe, the fermentation period is much longer (up to three months!) and the subtle, flavor of the final product is very much worth the wait. Cultures are still used, but they also enhance flavor and color over a period of time.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Re:

Post by fordtruckbeast » Wed Feb 02, 2022 14:14

bkshafer wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2013 15:04
I currently have stuff drying in my drying/fermentation chamber. I would like to make some more stuff to dry but I don't have a seperate fermentation chamber. It would be easy to control the temperature of something fermenting in a covered bowl for a couple days then stuff, instead of stuffing then having to worry about temperature and humidity.
İf you ferment in a bowl im not sure if it will dry at the same rate because the bottom on the bowl wouldnt breath per se...
redzed

Re: Ferment sausage in a bowl, not casing?

Post by redzed » Sat Feb 05, 2022 18:08

This is an old thread, but for the benefit of those who might have the same question, you can't ferment the farce for salami before casing. Fermentation not only acidifies the meat mass but when the pH drops to 5.3 - 5.2, it will solidify and firm up as gelification takes place. If you were to ferment the meat first and stuff later you would have to break up a fairly solid mass and have a crumbly salami full of air pockets in the end.