My favorite stuffer

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 26, 2012 23:05

Just because I tend to make small batches of sausage I still stuff with my grinder. It is slow, difficult and sometimes it is a pain in the neck. But it leaves me with just one machine to clean instead of two. I feed cooked rice in behind the last of the meat to push out the last.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Swallow
User
User

Stuffing without Squish

Post by Swallow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 03:28

el Ducko wrote: Got a better idea? :?: I'd love to hear it.
I have much that same type of stuffer that I use for small batches of sausage and of course it has or I should say had the same type of problem with the squish.

What I did was to first flatten out the face of the plunger with a grinder then I applied a food grade epoxy paint to the face of the plunger instead of re tinning . I then took a piece 3/4" of ultra high density polyethylene stolen from the little womans cutting board, (when she asked what had happened to the board I just told her that it must have shrunk in the dishwasher) I then put it on the lathe and machined a disk down to about 1/8" less than the hole dia of the stuffer. The outside of the poly plate was machined with a 1/8" groove to accept an O ring which increased the disk dia by 1/8". I then drilled and tapped the plunger plate to accept four 1/4" stainless machine screws. counter sunk the holes in the poly disk. Screwed the poly disk to the plunger using the stainless screws.

It's a dead on seal and Works great. Could probably get ignition if I gave it a shot of diesel, plugged the horn and hit the plunger handle real hard. Hope this helps.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jan 27, 2012 04:18

Hey, redvid: (...and most stores who stock stuffers wont ship to Canada.If anyone knows where I can buy a good stuffer please let me know.)
UhOh. This is not a quote. See...? ...no quote marks. Well, not my quote, anyway. I was just sitting here, minding my own bidness, when suddenly...

I came across this link while trolling the internet.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/canada.aspx
They ship to Canada. "Sounds like lotsa fun." (i.e. pricey.) I remember having our car torn apart at the border, one summer, looking for fireworks. :mad: ...but I also remember getting my boss, a Brit, almost hauled out of the car coming back from Windsor to Detroit, because he had grown a beard and didn't look like his passport photo.

"Do you know this man?" Tempting answer: "No sir. He said he was just a hitchhiker from Iran."
Now, THAT's lotsa fun. :lol: (I wonder where I'd be working now...) :BIG smiley:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jan 27, 2012 04:24

Swallow... sounds like a great solution to exactly my stuffer seal problem. Man, I'd almost kill for access to a machine shop. ("Psssst! Hey, Mac! Lemme borrow your lathe for a couple of hours. ...bring it right back. Truuuuust me.") :wink:

I think yours is a horn stuffer like mine. Mine is the cheapest, a cast iron model with tinned surfaces. Said surfaces are kinda rough. Did you have any sealing problems because of that?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Swallow
User
User

squish fix

Post by Swallow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 05:30

Ducko The casting on my stuffer are really quite good as far as inside smoothness goes it was just really the undersized plunger plate that sucked big time. Having been a pattern maker for some thirty odd years I suppose that I could have whipped up a plunger pattern fairly quickly and had a new one cast and then machined it down to fit Exactly but this was a cheap and easy fix. And as I only paid $10.00 for the stuffer at a surplus center I'm not going to spend too much time on it. I am however going to do a mod on it sometime and that will be to make the poly dsk cone shaped so that it will push all of the meat out of the stuffer.

Fact is that for small batches I like the horn type stuffer as it;s an easy cleanup soo maybe this spring I will make the pattern tooling for a horn type stuffer and design it the way a stuffer should be designed. I could just go out and by a good one but where's the fun in that?

Swallow
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 05:47

Fact is that for small batches I like the horn type stuffer
Swallow my man, how big 'round is your right bicep? :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 06:12

CW I'm a south paw, but seeing that yuh ask it's around 430mm Damn don't that sound impressive? But fer you uncultured southern boys that would be 17", the little woman don't call me the Hulk fer nothing. But she has also been known to say "Gee you'd be surprised what comes out of that thing when yuh hang 240 of sh%t on the end of that handle" She seems tuh think thats funny, not sure why but she snigger's every time she says it.

Swallow
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 07:21

Swallow (Buzzard?) :lol:
You wrote:
But fer you uncultured southern boys that would be 17",
WHAT? UN-CULTURED? What ever do you mean?
Why, I'll have you know that I fully SUPPORT Bacterial growth. The only culture I have!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Fri Jan 27, 2012 14:33

thanks guys for the info and entertainment.Looked at that stuffer on Sausagemaker.com but has plastic gears and I have been advised from great powers to stay away from them.The deluxe model is too pricey and looks more like a trophy,would have to put it on my mantel rather than use it,lol.Will wait and see what comes up on the net in the weeks to follow but if anyone hears or sees of anything,please let me know.Got to go freeze my moose meat now till I find a good stuffer.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jan 27, 2012 15:54

Here's a link to FedEx about shipping to Canada. You've probably already explored this, but... maybe not.

As an alternate, maybe one of us in the US could ship a stuffer to you "as a gift" to get around some of the prohibitions. For example, if I went to Cabela's (40 miles away) and bought a stuffer and sent it to you...

Happy B'day, whenever it is. (The B could stand for Big***Stuffer, I suppose.) :QuackSmiley:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jan 27, 2012 15:54

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:06

Re Sausage Maker stuffers, I've seen them used in posts by some well respected experts. CW can attest to their quality. Also, saw a large one being used in a professional sausage making school in Poland. If they can't ship to Canada, they'll say so in their catalog.
Good luck on your quest.
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:45

This may have been mentioned but why not just go to the local butcher shop and ask them where they get their supplies from. Most suppliers carry a full line from high to low end products.
Swallow
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 03:20

...plastic gears, and I have been advised from great powers to stay away from them.
Great Powers? What "great powers"? Perhaps on a phoney-boloney board where the ego of a few "professionals" can't stand to be questioned? Hell, I've used a 5 lb. vertical stuffer (Sausagemaker) for over thirty years for my smaller batches that I got from Rytek himself! It has never let me down. It should be almost worn out but it's not! It is in perfect condition... and you know why? It's because I stop cranking when the piston reaches the bottom of the cylinder! Duh! :shock: Unlike those "pros" who must let you know every five minutes that they are "in the trade", I don't stand or jump on the crank handle after it reaches the bottom. Heck, I'm just thinking for myself and don't subscribe to some northern know-it-all on that "other site" whose name starts with Bri. He would have us believe that all plastic gears are bad. The plain truth is they are very near nylon quality composed of a high grade resin called "lubricomp" - which effectively reduces wear. Alas, people will not listen... and all because some person "in the trade" fails to "recommend" them. Mine? Shucks, they are well-used and in perfect shape. I`ve always touched `em up with a little white-grease and have never forced them. They work perfectly.
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Aug 28, 2012 05:48, edited 2 times in total.
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Sat Jan 28, 2012 14:39

Sorry to hit a nerve bud,I just posted what I read and I don't know the difference because I am new to this.What your saying makes perfect sense and thanks for the info.