Stuffer tube for Krakowska kielbasa

Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Stuffer tube for Krakowska kielbasa

Post by Darthfrog » Fri Jun 17, 2011 17:13

Hi folks,

I'm wondering how to stuff large casings with large chunks of meat. I'm specifically referring to the recipe for Krakowska kielbasa that Stanley Marianski gives in his Polish Sausages book.

In that recipe, the forcemeat has a large proportion of lean pork cut into 2" chunks that are to be stuffed into large casings, eg. 3" hog middles. My Grizzly 5 lb. vertical stuffer only has a 1" stuffing tube so that won't do for such large meat chunks. I'm thinking that I need a food grade funnel with at least a 2" inch tube internal diameter to use for the stuffing but I can't find one (tried Lee Valley, Sausage Maker, Stuffers.com and Butcher-Packer so far).

So what I've done, is to cut the pork into smaller chunks that will fit through the Grizzly stuffer and use beef rounds for the casing. Hardly authentic but good tasting, of course.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I might obtain an appropriate stuffing tube/funnel/what have you for stuffing large casings with large chunks of meat?

Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 22:04

Hi Rob,
I can see your problem but what I did many years ago was going to a sheet metal worker, explained that I needed a funnel shaped contraption about 18" long and tapered to approx. 2" or a bit bigger. Het made in from 316 stainless at no cost at all, just a smoked sausage and a bottle of hobby moonshine.
The meat pushed in rather easy and it all worked well. I made a ball from cloth in a heavy plastic bag to help me push the meat in. This ball adjusted to the size automatically.
Just make sure that the inside of the funnel is real smooth for the ball to work properly.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 20:56

crustyo44

Any way you could post a picture of this funnel shaped contraption that you had made? I am sure that might help Darthfrog out and IU am interested it it also!
Thanks,
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 19, 2011 22:33

A traffic cone would work.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 00:51

ssorllih wrote:A traffic cone would work.
I somehow doubt that a traffic cone would be food safe. :-)

Cheers,
Rob
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 00:58

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Rob,
I can see your problem but what I did many years ago was going to a sheet metal worker, explained that I needed a funnel shaped contraption about 18" long and tapered to approx. 2" or a bit bigger.
May I borrow it for a bit? :-) It sounds just what I'm looking for.

A canning funnel would have the mouth width I need but the very short tube would make the use of it difficult for stuffing a big casing. Hmm, food for thought.

Cheers,
Rob
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jun 20, 2011 01:12

I made Ham sausage last night. It involves an emulsified paste and chunks of meat. I used a canning funnel and a length of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. I could have won a prize on America's funniest home videos. It worked but it wasn't pretty. The sausage is very good.
I must work out a better method. I think a 4 inch to 1 1/2 inch reducer with a 4 inch PVC top and 1 1/2 inch PVC outlet. Cleaning will be a chore because we can't be certain that te joints are completely filled and epoxy won't stick.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 04:17

Hi,
If I still had the slow taper stainless funnel I certainly would make a foto and post it.
I am talking about 40 years ago and I bet it is still in use today, but where?
It is exactly like a traffic cone, about the same lenght but with less taper.
Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jun 20, 2011 04:31

Sort of like a megaphone.
I am leaning towards a PVC assembly. Polyester resin bonds to pvc and would make it posible to have a completely smooth interior on a funnel. I just haven't figured out a means of pushing the mix through the tube.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 04:45

Hi Ross,
I just used and old kitchentowel rolled into a ball, covered in a plastic deepfreeze bag and this seemed to work rather well as it could be expanded and reversed rather easily by hand.
If you would use it every week, obviously a better solution would have to be found.
For me it worked well without any problems.
I am not a great lover of using CERTAIN plastics with any food, nevermind what any multi-national supplier says. These guys tell you anything to increase their bottom line.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.