Butcher's twine

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Butcher's twine

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 14, 2011 00:27

I have a new question; Does butcher's twine have a coating or treatment that allows easy removal after the product is finished? I used plain white cotton kitchen string and it sticks like a brother to the meat when the meat is smoked.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:36

I know that Mr. Marianski's books say that netting can be briefly soaked in liquid smoke or vinegar to prevent the sticking from occurring on the meat. I don't think butcher's twine is treated, but I don't know for sure.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:08

It is then reasonable to presume to soak a length of twine in vinegar before applying it to the meat. Thank you.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:20

Hi Ross,
I prefer to stick to plain cotton string, soaked or not soaked. I hate to use artificial butchers twine as I am not convinced that when you roast or smoke at a high temperatures, no harmfull chemicals leach out.
I may be wrong but with plain cotton there is one worry less to stay healthy.
My experience comes from being a small hobby distiller for many years.
Some hobby distillers put high % alcohol in plastic bottles which are proven to leach in the alcohol. Never mind what the multinationals say, examples are certain chemicals such as the defoliants used in Vietnam. They were safe, remember.
Stick to cotton string.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:26

My string is cotton. I would use no other except maybe hemp but what I have is too heavy. The next time I buy a ball I will cook some tallow into it.
I do that with masons twine using beeswax and pine tar for use on my boat. The smell is very aromatic. I wouldn't get it close to food.
Ross- tightwad home cook