Stuffers

Oxide
User
User

Stuffers

Post by Oxide » Sun Feb 19, 2012 20:09

I am looking to buy a stuffer, not sure if vertical or horizontal is the way to go.

Other than the obvious difference of counter top space needed for the stuffer to sit on, what, if any, advantages/disadvantages are there to each design?

Thanks for any input you folks can offer on this all import topic. :grin:
--------
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 21:09

Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Mon Feb 20, 2012 19:23

Thanks for the link. Before posting my query I had looked in the hardware forum for info on stuffers but missed that thread. I read the whole thing, and followed every link -- took me 2 hrs.

Nothing in that thread answers the question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of a vertical stuffer compared to a horizontal stuffer?
--------
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 21:51

Well, if you are friends with Paul Bunyan or would like to enter the Strong Man contest, forget the vertical piston stuffer.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a efficiency, potentially large capacity, and ease, then look no further than the vertical piston stuffer.

Those horizontal bladder looking machines will only cause you trouble and aggravation. They vertical model may be a bit more money, but you will be glad you made the investment.
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Mon Feb 20, 2012 22:16

Thank you for the reply.

I do not know anything about a horizontal bladder looking machine. I have looked at the hydro-powered-spud-cannon-conversion-into-stuffer thingy that plugs into the kitchen sink -- I'm not interested in that.

What I want to know is the advantage or disadvantage of these two designs:

Image <<< VERTICAL STUFFER !!!

vs.

Image <<< HORIZONTAL STUFFER !!!

In similar capacities, the prices are about the same.

Forget about brands ... I want to know about the design ... is one preferred to the other, and if so, why, or does it even matter? :?:
--------
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 22:43

I prefer the vertical cuz like when I'm using my Dick I really like to slam the meat home, not so easy in the horizontal position. However both styles work.

Slamming it in goes a long way in preventing air bubbles.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 12, 2013 00:16

That is a beautiful looking batch of sausage Cat, nice job! Your stuffer has me thinking thoughts. I noticed the vertical stuffers yesterday when I was in Reno, I like the way the sausage comes out lower to the work table than stuffing with the grinder like I do presently. I can see where this would allow the sausage to be pinched into links before being twisted, maybe not pop as many casings when linking, and have maybe a half inch of space between the links which would work better in the smoker. I'll be back in Reno shopping again next weekend, might just make a buy. RAY
&#8220;Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.&#8221;
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Feb 12, 2013 02:15

Hey Ray - I have been patiently and expectantly waiting for the day when you would buy yourself a stuffer. I have the same grinder as you and though it has a pretty cool gizmo for stuffing, it is so much better to be able to hand crank from a vertical stuffer. Go for it.

Jeff
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 12, 2013 06:50

Cabonaia wrote:Hey Ray - I have been patiently and expectantly waiting for the day when you would buy yourself a stuffer. I have the same grinder as you and though it has a pretty cool gizmo for stuffing, it is so much better to be able to hand crank from a vertical stuffer. Go for it.

Jeff
Hey Jeff, thanks for the advise. I was right there in Cabelas with the $300 gift card I had and two one hundred dollar bills more than we showed up with, and just didn't pull the trigger. The money isn't the issue, and even my wife is starting to tease me a bit about being such a weenie and not just getting the 20lb. commercial-grade SS stuffer, it's $399. I want the electric motor to go with it, that's another $299, I already have the on / off foot pedal. I keep reading the customer reviews and people either love 'em or hate 'em, and I don't like the talk of metal shavings from the gear assembly being found in the sausage meat, that's my main concern. Maybe hand-cranking would be a lot easier on those gears and not cause any undue gear wear, I don't know. They say they've got new and improved gears, better metal, the motor won't wreck them, I just don't know. I like the aspect of the motor with my foot pedal to keep both hands available to deal with the casings and sausage. Like I said, it's not the money, I love to spend money, I just hate to waste it. I'll be back there this coming weekend, maybe I can be more decisive. The trip wasn't a complete waste, I did get to pick up a little something to make me happy when we got home. RAY

&#8220;Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.&#8221;
cat797
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cat797 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 20:35

Ray,

I'm a rookie, and that was my first time using that 5lb. stuffer. I couldn't be more pleased.....it is more than adequate for what I'm doing. I imagine if you are making large batches, it could be somewhat of a pain having to reload, but the actual process of stuffing with the hand crank is simple and fast. My 10 year old son did the cranking and we had 11-12 pounds of sausage stuffed within 30 minutes.

My $.02 worth...... :mrgreen:

Good Luck,
Ed
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Feb 12, 2013 20:57

sawhorseray wrote:I love to spend money, I just hate to waste it.
Hahahaha! Quote of the day!

Ray - I'm the same way. A real tire kicker. I have been meaning to buy the on/off pedal for my cabellas stuffer, but was thinking there might be something I can cobble together. Can't believe they want so much for it.

I have a 5 lb. LEM vertical stuffer and can highly recommend it, but you want something bigger and electric powered so my recommendation doesn't help. Mine looks like every other 5 lb. vertical stuffer I've seen pictures of, but has metal gears, which I wanted after reading testimonials from people who had trouble stripping nylon gears. I've never heard anybody on this site complain about the nylon ones, however. It seems that most people who make sausage have worked with their hands a lot in life, and they know how to treat equipment.

My little LEM leaves very little meat at the bottom of the cylinder. I don't know how much the larger ones leave, but I have read about some brands (like Weston) leaving quite a bit. I kind of wish I got a 10 lb. model, but I don't wish that when I'm cleaning something that fits in my kitchen sink.

I got mine at a discount from Amazon because the box was damaged. So it qualified as "used."

Nice lookin booze. You drink the good stuff. :cool:

Cheers,
Jeff
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 12, 2013 21:21

It's all a moot point now. I told my wife I was going to the Way to pick up a load of chicken thighs for sausage, 99≠lb. She told me I might want to wait and to go check my e-mail. She was tired of my waffeling and just ordered me the 20lb stuffer and the electric motor according to the e-mail I received from Cabelas. I'm thinking she was pretty darned happy with the eggs Benedict I made her for breakfast. RAY

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... t104552280

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... BIK-540066
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Feb 12, 2013 21:29

WOW is all I can say. That and, Congratulations! You got the gear.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 12, 2013 21:56

Cabonaia wrote:WOW is all I can say. That and, Congratulations! You got the gear.
Thanks Jeff, all of a sudden I'm kind of excited. I just watched the video and it appears the stuffer motor comes with a foot-pedal of it's own. The video showed the guy twisting the links as they came out of the stuffing tube, both hands free, and lots of room between the links. I'm thinking no more popped casings and easier to get the sausage arranged in the smoker. I'm pretty much done as far as gear goes, the tool shed's full. RAY