Meat Slicers

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Meat Slicers

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 17:17

MEAT SLICERS: I bought one about a year ago on sale & it made slicing SS & other chubs much easier & faster than with a knife. But since I`ve been cranking out chubs of bologna & other large tasty `tubular meat-as well as smoking briskets, turkey breasts & the like, I`ve been looking for a better meat slicer than the one i have. I`ve been making do with this guy: Waring Pro 150 Slicer-which I picked up for less than $40 on a special deal (reg.$199). It`s done okay, but the more I use it, the more I feel the need to get something BIGGER,( ie. Larger blade, more heft & sturdier.). Slicing pastrami was a real challenge, and larger roasts really tax the motor & blade spin. The whole unit move in operation (suction cup feet are useless!), and requires some deft & skill to hold the meat, move the carriage tray back & forth, and keep the slicer from sliding... :mad:

It's not a bad little slicer, but with some bigger loads, stability can be an issue.
Mortadella-slicing....

So after scouring the local garage sales, paper & Craigslist for a `deal` on a larger slicer, I finally found one...a used 12-inch commercial slicer. It needed a little cleaning & sanitizing (plus the blade could use a bit of sharpening). But for about $250-versus $1,200 -$1,300 new (plus S&H!), I don`t mind do a little clean-up.

It's a load to move, about 90lbs with the carriage on, but the footprint isn't a big as I though it might be. I used a very similarly-styled model years ago when I worked for Togo's in high school. Some specs: anodized aluminium alloy body, high carbon steel blade, belt-driven, Blade Size:12, HP: 0.50, RPM: 280, Cutting Dimensions L x H: 11.25" x 9"

The operation is very smooth, and it cuts a nice thin deli-slice with only some minor shredding (the blade does need sharpening). The two sharpening stones need replacing so i've the new parts on order.
Compared to the Waring, the Omcan slicer looks HUGE-but with the size & weight (plus powerful motor), stability is no longer an issue. I was told that I do need to remember to keep the blade oiled (carbon steel) to minimize the risk of rust, but I'll have to do some research on blade upkeep. Anyone?

It's alway fun to get new 'toy'....
...especially ones that are VERY useful AND come at a great price!

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 25, 2012 18:34

I have never been satisfied with hobby tools of any sort. If you need a tool more than once a month you should own it. That slicer looks capable of doing any slicing job you will have.
Ross- tightwad home cook
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 19:02

Kevin,
I'm jealous :mrgreen: that new slicer looks awesome. I'm in the same boat, the entry slicer that I have has done a decent job but I yearn for one that will do a better job make it safer to use etc..... I've been searching but yet to have found one that I feel is right for me so the search goes on!
Happy Slicing,
John
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon Mar 26, 2012 19:00

You should be able to get a blade sharpener that attaches to that slicer.
Dick

Never quit learning!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 21:38

Hi Kevin,
I am like John, jealous as hell, I owned a hobby slicer for a while and finally gave it away.
Too dangerous, too slow and not up to any job at all.
I am on the look out for a machine as you just acquired.
Regards,
Jan.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Mar 27, 2012 03:48

DLFL wrote:You should be able to get a blade sharpener that attaches to that slicer.
Dick, it has a sharpener attached at the top of the blade. The two sharpening stones were worn down and really didnt do a good job anymore.
So I had to order new ones to replace these...

Good news is the parts came (QUICK! :grin:) and I gave the blade a good 30-second sharpening.
The unit really does a nice job now, even on the 'ultra-thin' slices of meat.
I have some nice beef roasts I'll be over-roasting later this week to a faint pink inside; let 'em cool overnight in the fridge, and then make slices. Looks like roast beef sandwiches with horseradish mayo in the near future!

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 14:55

You are in business!!!
Dick

Never quit learning!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 29, 2013 07:25

Bought something today I don't need. Its a Globe GC12D, made in Italy, medium duty commercial grade and in mint condition. Weighs 29.5 kg (65 lbs). No longer made, original MSRP was $2,400, although they were selling them for around $1,500 at some point. I bought it for $250. The only problem is that I don't need it. Just before Christmas I bought a beautiful old timer, a Hobart 410, that slices my meats as thin as wax paper. But for $250 I could not resist!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 07:48

Well you're kinda killin me here, guys. I just bought a "hobby slicer." I've been watching Craig's List for quite some time and never saw a commercial slicer for anything near $250- way to go!

I got this one, along with a non-serrated blade and a tube of food service rated grease:

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Prem ... eli+slicer

I used to be in the trades and I don't like toy tools, but for how much I use this and how much I paid (and having never worked with "real" one), I'm happy. Some years back I bought an even cheaper one, and took it back before even using it. That bad. Anyway, for those looking for a less expensive slicer, and not lucky enough to find a used beauty, I would recommend this one.

Jeff