Bowl Chopper

story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Tue May 29, 2012 15:53

Butterbean wrote: I've talked with Koch and may go visit them in the future. I like what I've read about their smokers. Are they difficult to learn to use?
No problem. The microprocessor certainly takes some getting used to, but it is not the hardest thing in the world. But, you are completely responsible for installing the machine, which could cost an additional arm and a leg if you don't have the right connections to do it cheap. There are a few water lines in addition to several electric lines, an exhaust, and gas lines if you choose that model.

Once you have the machine installed, though, they send out a technician to help acclimate you to the machine. Aside from that, they give you cook schedules for basic preparations, and some of them are pretty decent.

There also is a pretty smart food technologist over there, Noah Hall. He is always willing to give his time to answer any questions you might have.

Don't let them up-sell you on the time/temperature recorder. Our health department could care less about them. That add-on is expensive and the microprocessor can store processing conditions on a USB.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed May 30, 2012 01:47

Butterbean wrote:Devo, I have something similar to the chopper you posted. Those are pretty neat.
BB, could you share what you have that is similar? I am almost ready to buy one of the Kirby choppers, but would love to hear about yours first. I'm tired of using the food processor. Thanks.

Devo, do you have one of Kirby's and if so, does it emulsify OK? The few pictures I've seen (on the Bradley smoker forum) seems to show that it doesn't quite chop the meat fine enough.
Rudy
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed May 30, 2012 03:42

As a gift, I got one of those Ninja food processors. It has two processors. One is smaller than the other. It has various blades. Some are stacked. It makes short work of some things and can emulsify meat quickly and is pretty good with vegetables and stuff too.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed May 30, 2012 14:40

BB, thanks for the reply. Sorry to get your thread off-track. I have a really old Hobart buffalo chopper (the smallest one they made) and it does a fine job but man is it a heavy beast. Plus it takes me more time to clean the bugger up than it takes to grind and stuff combined so I seldom use it unless I'm doing a really big batch. That's why I'm looking for a better solution for doing 5-15 lb batches than my food processor.
Rudy
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu May 31, 2012 05:05

I would have thought the chopper would be easy to clean. I've never cleaned one so I don't know. Just looked like it would be.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu May 31, 2012 17:20

Butterbean wrote:I would have thought the chopper would be easy to clean. I've never cleaned one so I don't know. Just looked like it would be.
I'm sure the newer ones are easier to clean. Mine's an antique and is worn out and sloppy plus I have a tendency to overload it with meat. But, it sure makes short work of emulsifying anything you dump in it.
Rudy
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jun 02, 2012 14:16

I sure could have used a bowl chopper yesterday as I chopped up a bushel of peppers from the garden. I must admit, I ain't Bobby Flay. :oops:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 02, 2012 15:18

BB were you chopping to freeze? How would a coarse plate in the grinder serve?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jun 02, 2012 15:56

Don't know. May have to give it a try. I suspect it would mush them more.

I just think we need to take up a collection so I can get a bowl chopper an then ya'll won't have to listen to me whine. :mrgreen: :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 07:40

Ahhh, that's not whinin'! I used to use the original "food processor" - a stiff hit of Black Jack #7 and a razor-sharp Chinese cleaver in each hand. The trick is to swallow and smile simultaneously, then scream like a banshee while your wrists produce a smooth, fluid, reciprocating action... capable of mincing those green peppers within seconds. Shucks, once I became well-lubricated with the pride of Lynchburg, I'd have to be careful not to burn those peppers with all that friction! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 03, 2012 23:11

I mail have to try that but I assure you I will be wearing my chainmail gloves. :lol: